Search

To Atravelynn

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Atravelynn

Hi Lynn - So nice to have you back! Hope you had an excellent trip - although none of us can know this because you've been so busy reading other reports you have been neglecting your own. (OK that was my one and only attempt at sarcasm. Your wild dog story is much better.) I know I failed miserably to entertain anyone with a report - but it would be great if you could let us know how it went, what you saw, etc... Before the school rush sets in maybe? ;-)

Cheerio!
Sharon
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:57 PM

Sharon,
I couldn't have put it better myself!! Lynn, you know, the sooner you start the sooner it will be done and you can get on with reading all the other reports and start planning for next time !

Imelda
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

She is ignoring us, me thinks...
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 02:18 PM

I think you might be right Sharon although if I had just returned the day before I would be too (especially when trip reports are mentioned!)
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:17 PM

I'll be especially interested to hear of any discussion at Zib about the location of the den of the Selinda/Duma Tau wild dog pack. I've heard some intriguing 'funny business' stories in the past few hours. They shoot down in flames any suggestion of Selinda being under the Wilderness umbrella.

John
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM

The report (and pictures) will be coming! But the highlights were buffalo-lion interactions and a lion kill at Duba Plains; another lion kill the next day of a buffalo calf at Vumbura; and 3 sightings of the 14-member wild dog pack at Selinda in one day, with one of the sightings at the camp waterhole!

The biggest highlight should actually be safe travels during these dubious times!

Selinda is marketed by Wilderness but they are their own camp.

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 07:39 AM

Welcome back Lynn!
Sounds like your trip was a success, so happy for you.
Will look forward to your photos and details.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Lynn! Now, could you tell us more about the palm trees please?
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Lynn,

That little waterhole in front of Zib is a marvellous boon...the dogs seem to love it. Though you wouldn't have seen the pups at the waterhole, it seems an unusually small pack this year...the alpha female had a litter of 12 in each of the previous four years (8 this year), which makes a pack of 25-30 dogs. Was anything said about the location of the den...whether they thought it was in Duma Tau or Selinda territory or right on the border? (I know they didn't know, and that the Savuti/Duma Tau people have now found it). There'll be a change of location any day now, if it hasn't happened already...the pack leaves the old parasite-ridden den about mid to late August every year.

I'm pleased to see your remark about Selinda being 'its own camp.' The LE people have just about been driven to distraction in the past year by some Wilderness claims that 'Selinda is ours.' It's not so, of course. There is a marketing arrangement, but that's all. I can understand Wilderness wanting people to think they own or control LE and doing nothing to discourage that belief...what a feather in their cap! Fortunately, it's a lie.

John
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the welcome back comments!

No pups at the water hole, just 7 of the 14 dog pack.

The Selinda people did not know where the den was. They thought it was in Duma Tau. Reading Juilian's report from July, the Duma Tau people thought the den was in Selinda. I ran into a pilot who said he had been to the den while visiting Savuti camp.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:20 AM

Hello and Welcome back Lynn,
Sorry I didn't properly say hi before peppering you with questions on the other thread.
Hope your feet are slow to hit the ground and that you have sweet memories from your last adventure.
Sherry