Tour Company for Kenya/Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having difficulty locating a tour company for a trip we want to take in September 2006 to the Mara, Serengeti, Ngorogoro and Selous. Tried Destination Kenya, Sun Treks and 2Afrika, but even with a custom itinerary, we're still not getting what we're looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions? Budget is in the neighbourhood of $3000-4000 US pp land only. PS: Has anyone else noticed the price of safaris seems to go up incredibly from 2005 to 2006? I'm thinking I should've postponed Egypt and went on Safari this fall!
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Have just booked a trip to Kenya with a company called Carrier. They seem very helpful indeed. The web site I have for them is www.carrier.co.uk but I know they have offices worldwide. Certainly worth researching.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:54 AM

It looks like the majority of your desired destinations are in Tanzania -- have you tried a Tanzania-based company?

You could also try CCAfrica (www.ccafrica.com). Their own camps are very high-end, but they also can book less expensive options for you and have a great ground operation in both countries. They have some nice ideas on their website, and are great at designing a custom itinerary. I've travelled with them before and had a great experience.

Try these links:

FOR TANZANIA
http://www.ccafricasafaris.com/tours/default-1-aid-2-71

FOR KENYA
http://www.ccafricasafaris.com/tours/default-1-aid-2-72

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:48 PM
sandi

Yes, prices have gone up considerably for 2006. With tourism having been in the dumps after 9/11 and 2001, 2002 and 2003 being poor for both countries, it wasn't until 2004 that travel picked up. Ordinarily you can expect prices to increase on average 10% year-to-year (though some years they may not or only 5%).

With travel about back to pre 9/11 numbers, for 2006, you can expect prices to increase anywhere from 15%-25%. Yes, very high and all at one time, not incremental.

Also, for 2006, in Tanzania, there will be price increases to their park fees at Serengeti and Ngorongoro, almost double 2005 rates*. And tours in the Ngorongoro Crater have been limited to 6-hrs. with a charge of $100/per vehicle.

In your instance... travel in September is the high season, so prices would naturally be high.

For travel to the Selous you'd have to fly to Dar-es-Salaam for access to this park - flying to DAR and to/from Selous, all adds to the price regardless the level of accommodations.

If you do a search on this board in the box on the top - enter: "tanzania tour operators" and a list should appear in the left column with threads containing such information. Select a few of the in-country outfitters listed, email them your requirements and see what prices they have to offer.

*Just read in Africa mag (received yesterday) that price increases for parks other then Serengeti and Ngorongoro have been postponed to July 1, 2006.

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:08 PM

What is it that you aren't able to get from the tour operators you've contacted already? Without knowing specifics, I would just make a general recommendation that you contact some Tanzania based operators (so far it looks like you've contacted US and Kenya based ones) since your trip is primarily within Tanzania.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

They either leave out Selous (we want to go there for the wild dogs) or it's all "filler" (visit the Karen Blixen museum, visit a bead factory, etc.) I don't think Sun Treks even read my request as what they came back with wasn't even remotely close to what I asked for. I tried ccafrica, and so far they sound great. Many thanks for the suggestions.
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 09:20 AM

You might try ATR, Africa Travel Resource, as well. But I think your high costs are coming from the transportation to the Selous. (Boy, I am sounding more and more like an expert all the time....)
Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:42 AM
sandi

loru100 -

To repeat, besides September being high season with high prices, you're asking to visit two countries, - so consider transport between each. And in Tanzania,, if doing Ngorongoro and Serengeti and then want Selous - again the transport to Dar-es-Salaam and then to Selous. All add to the costs.

Sorry that one of those operators you contacted isn't answering or rather listening to you. Find one who will.

Recommendation - with the action taking place in the Mara in September, and very little in the Serengeti, I'd consider a visit to Tarangire instead - there's a mini-migration that takes place here between July-October.

Old Aug 22nd, 2005, 04:15 PM

We did the standard Tanzania northern circuit in June w/ Roy Safari, and they were great. Our guide told us he had been in the South (i.e. Selous) so you may want to try them.