Time between Singita and Vic Falls

Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time between Singita and Vic Falls

We have two nights between our stay at Singita Ebony and our arrival at Sindabezi in Vic Falls. Currently we're scheduled to spend those two nights in Johannesburg. I'd appreciate any other suggestions on where we could spend those two nights (preferably with game viewing), hopefully somewhere that would allow us to fly directly to Vic Falls without stopping in Johannesburg. Unfortunately, Sindabezi isn't available for an earlier check-in. Thanks for any insights.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:14 PM

Hello,

Most flights to Vic Falls do route through Joburg, so it would be hard to avoid Joburg entirely.

How about flying from Singita up to one of the Northern private reserves, such as Timbavati? I would recommend Ngala Tented Camp as a good complement to Singita -- staying under canvas is a totally different experience to staying in a lodge, and shouldn't be missed!

Ngala is known for the pack of wild dogs (the Ngala pack) which frequents the area. Wild dogs are notoriously difficult to predict, but Ngala is probably one of the best places in the greater Kruger area to see them and you may just get lucky.

You could then do a charter flight from Ngala to Joburg for your flight to Vic Falls.

Cheers,
Julian
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM

Victoria Falls divide Zambia from Zimbabwe.
Neither of these two countries are provinces of the Republic of South Africa, therefor when departing from Singita you are required to complete immigrations and customs formalities. You cannot fly directly into Victoria Falls.

That all said tongue in cheek. You could leave Singita early enough and connect through JNB to the Vic Falls area, perhaps spending two nights in the Kasane area of Botswana viewing game in the Chobe Game Reserve.

Otherwise I suggest a slow drive around the escarpment of Mpumalanga and the Limpopo Province taking in sights such as the Blyde River canyon, Mac Mac falls, Pilgrims Rest etc. This does not eliminate JNB, but does reduce the time there to passing through the airport.

Over to you.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:09 PM
santharamhari

To minimize transit time and maximize game viewing......i would either do ngala in the timbavati or just cross over to Londolozi in the sabi sands.

Hari

Old May 23rd, 2006, 02:45 AM

Hello,

Singita and Londoz are neighbours (some of the same animals are seen on both reserves) so if you wanted to stay in the Sabi Sands I'd recommend extending your stay at Singita to avoid moving camps. If this isn't possible, Londoz is a wondeful option, and is a short drive away.

Cheers,
Julian
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:41 AM
sandi

I'm with Julian, to spend these two nights on one of the adjacent private reserves... Timbavati at Ngala Tent Camp or Manyeletti at Honeyguide. The former is somewhat a step above the latter though I understand Honeyguide has been refurbished in the last few years. Both are tent camps and a truer African experieince, as there's nothing quite as wonderful as sleeping under canvas.

If these camps are available, the prices will be marketedly lower than Singita. Transport between the different reserves can be by road (Manyeletti is shorter/easier) or short flights. At conclusion, you'd fly into JNB for flight to Victoria Falls.

If you choose instead to head into Botswana, Chobe park, this is easy enough from VFA by road - only 1-hr to the Botswana border, then about 30-40/min drive to Chobe. A lovely place to stay here is Chilwera. Not tents, but fair sized A-frame houses, with private sitting garden out back, large bathrooms with indoor and outdoor showers, and a very large bedroom with a sitting area here too. All face the river. Your return to VFA for stay at Sindabezi would be the reverse. Border procedures at Botswana are easy and, if I recall, no fee for the Botswana Visa. However, if choosing to do this, when entering VFA, you have to obtain a multiple-entry Visa for an additional $10 or $15/person.

And the third choice - when leaving Sabi Sand, instead drive the Panorama route outside Kruger with visits at Blyde Canyon, Pilgrims Rest, etc. (get a map of the area, found in Frommer's guide book); some lovely inns for an overnight. Then to JNB for flight to VFA.

There are a number of options and pretty good ones at that.