Reload this Page >

Things to do in Cape Town, SA

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 1997, 11:42 AM
Charlotte

My husband & I will be travelling to South Africa in the middle of Sept. We will be stopping in Cape Town for a few days & then flying on to Durban. We will not be renting a car, so would like some info on what to do & where to go without a car. Also, can anyone recommend some resonable places to stay that are centrally located & safe?

Old May 28th, 1997, 01:05 PM
andrew

You certainly don't need a car to explore Cape Town's city center, Waterfront, and Table Mountain, but it would be a mistake to limit yourself to these areas--the surrounding countryside and coastline are too stunning to miss. If you don't want to drive yourself, consider taking a tour to see Constantia, Cape Point, Chapman's Peak, and the Winelands. Many hotels are located in the City Bowl, as the city center is called. The area is safe during the day, although you should exercise caution walking at night. The Mount Nelson is the city's most famous hotel but it's also very expensive. For a cheaper but comfortable place to stay, consider the Underberg Guest House (tel. 021/26-2262, fax 021/24-4059), in a restored Victorian farmhouse, 20 minutes by foot from the city center. In Durban, you also don't need a car as long as you stay at the Royal Hotel or at any of the hotels along the Durban beachfront. Highlights include Farewell Square, the Indian District, and the Victoria Street Market. Once again, a car or a tour will allow you to see much, much more, including the Natal Shark Board, Valley of a Thousand Hills, and even Hluhluwe-Umfolozi game reserve, to the north. Good places to stay include the Royal, the Edward, and the Holiday Inn Garden Court-North Beach. Have a great trip.

Old May 29th, 1997, 05:07 PM
Greg Jones

I visited Cape Town in April. Absolutely fantastic place! You will definitely want to take a short trip to the Cape of Good Hope (beautiful park, hiking trails, views...), the Victoria & Alfred waterfront, perhaps some museums (the Cultural History museum and the South African museum of nauture & history), perhaps do a quick tour of some of the surrounding winelands, and if you are energetic climb to the top of Table Mountain, which is the only way to get up there right now since the Cable-car system is under renovations for the next 5-6 months. There are a lot of good hotels and restaurants. The city center area is very safe (compared to Johannesburg for example) and I had no problems even at night. Have a great trip!!!
G.

Old Oct 3rd, 1997, 04:33 PM
Hillary

I am looking for some recommendations on hostels in safe and central areas in SA for a woman travelling solo. Also, how reasonable would it be to do some travelling by bike? Thank you.

Old Oct 11th, 1997, 11:35 PM
Anthony

NO NO NO you would be nuts to even think of traveling alone by bike in SA. SA is a wonderful country with wonderful people, but by no means safe to travel alone on a bike. Do some research, read the local papers on the net etc.