The Leopard Son

Feb 27th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

The Leopard Son

For anyone who has access to HDTV and the Discovery Channel HD programming, you won't want to miss "The Leopard Son" and "Serengeti Symphony"...both filmed by Hugo Van Lawick. Both are spectacular, especially the leopard son. HDTV puts you right there and the sounds transport you.
Feb 27th, 2004, 06:33 PM

GIRLPOLO33:

Thanks I love Hugo's films,great voice and story telling!
Feb 28th, 2004, 01:50 AM

I saw the first some time ago but haven't seen Serengeti Symphony, I'll look out for it. (I don't think our Discovery Channel follows the same timetable as the original US channel).
Feb 28th, 2004, 05:25 AM
sandi

Anything that Hugo Van Lawick has done has been outstanding. And yes The Leopard Son was wonderful. I don't recall Serengeti Symphony, but will look out for it - no doubt if it's run again, I'll realize I've seen it before.

The other one I enjoyed very much was about the little Tommy's "Run for Life" (believe that's the title) - the first year of life of a Tommy and how he survived on the plains and those predators always after him.

Unfortunately since Van Lawick has retired and turned over his work to proteges, you have to be lucky to catch if National Geo, Nature, or Discovery repeat some of his works.

Feb 28th, 2004, 09:06 AM

ON THE TOPIC OF FILMS:

Be on the lookout for STALKING LEOPARDS.

This remarkable film documents one young male leopard's fight for survival and his place in the community hierarchy.

It is an intimate chronicle of Tjololo's[subject] journey into adulthood shot on location in Mala Mala Game Reserve by Kim Wolhuter.

On a recent visit here I saw this leopard on three different occasions awesome!!!

Tjololo-the only way to walk is proudly and alone!!
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:25 AM

I have recorded a whole load of shows off the TV (just for my personal use so I can rewatch them) and particularly recommend the following:

Big Cat Diary: Family History
One each for lion, leopard and cheetah each episode reviews the history and family trees of the cats featured in the series since 1996 to 2003.

Meerkats: Part of the Team
Simon King films in Tswalu National Park in South Africa to study meerkat family teams.

The Bone Crushers
Kenya's Masai Mara, spotted hyena matriarchal clan dynamics.

Dragons of Namib
Follow a female namaqua chameleon as she struggles for survival in the Namib desert.

Giants of Etosha
Ginger Mauney & Conrad Brain follow Knobnose's herd in Etosha. Michael Garstang studies elephant infrasound communication.

Season in the Sun
In the scorching heat of East Africa's dry season some creatures survive by hibernating.

Ghosts of the Great Salt Lakes
Researcher Glynn Maude follows rare brown hyenas in Botswana's Makgadikgadi salt pans.

Meerkats Divided
There is trouble brewing with the neighbours and rebellion, mugging and infidelity in the gang.

George and the Rhino

Wild Dogs: Biting Back
Following a wild dog from birth to his first kill.

I have a lot more than that but these are ones that stand out in my memory.

PS I have recorded something called Serengeti Stories by Hugo Van Lawick - is that the same show under a different title?
Feb 28th, 2004, 09:35 AM

KAVEY:

Wow!you are so fortunate to have access to these films!

Do you have any idea how we can get access to this satelite service in Canada?
Feb 28th, 2004, 11:45 AM

I'm sorry I have absolutely no idea.

We are signed on with SKY and I have recorded these programmes from BBC1, BBC2, Animal Planet, Discovery, UK Horizons and other channels too that are all part of the basic channel package which is under £20 a month, can't remember exactly.

Then we got SKY+ which is their customised version of TIVO/ PVR and were initially paying £10/ month extra for that but very soon after we signed on they started a special offer where the £10 fee was waived if your package included any premium channels. So we upgraded to the package that has all the movie channels on it and are paying the same as we were for the basic package plus Sky+ fee.

Feb 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM

KAVEY:

Thanks for the info.

We get Animal planet but thats it!They have one African documentary/week-not great.

In RSA we got much more,I especially miss that one program called ON LOOSE IN WILDEST AFRICA we got on National Geographic channel.We do get National Geographic here but it's different.
Feb 28th, 2004, 12:13 PM

Yeah I get that too - infact I just recently mentioned it in some thread or other here - Rocco was asking about Sausage Tree Camp which has been featured on that show so I recommended he try and track down a recording of it.

I have actually recorded 20 tapes, each 6 hours long, only 3 of which are non-Africa in content, since we got the service in September.

Feb 28th, 2004, 01:08 PM
sandi

Sorry! It just hit me, the name of the Van Lawick movie about the little Tommie is "Born to Run."

Feb 28th, 2004, 01:29 PM
sandi

Kavey -

>>>Season in the Sun
In the scorching heat of East Africa's dry season some creatures survive by hibernating.<<<

Is this the one where all the waterholes dry up - the gators die, you see only bones where the rivers were, and catfish are the ones that hibernate? It's shot at the Grumeti River in the Serengeti. If yes, I found this one of the most fascinating as you really understand that "water" is so important for life to go on.

Safarinut -

As to which channels where one can find these programs - I find they can be on National Geographic, Animal Planet, Discovery and if you have any Public Broadcast Stations (those supported by the public) they often run programs that have been seen on any of the above, but specifically they have a program called Nature which can include anything to do with animals, plants, humans, life in general. I just check each of these channels to see whats on.

The program you mention about Tjololo was very interesting, but even more so was seeing Kim Wolhuter taking his little daughters out on game drives. You've got to start them out young!

Recently (past year) there are the Cratt Brothers who have done some interesting programs - one that absolutely blew my mind was was about this very large pride of lions in Botswana that actually attack elephants! They did another program with the chimps at Gombe - so funny. Also the killer Whales off the Namibia coast attacking baby seals, actually coming out of the water to do so. And this morning saw them tracking Great Whites off Seal Island and how they get those seals (again).

It seems we're all hooked!

Feb 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Yes, it features eles digging deep for water, a pygmy mouse and even the lungfish that bury into the muddy remnants of water and hibernate.
Feb 28th, 2004, 02:19 PM

SANDI:

I saw the program on the lions attacking elephant in December while visiting my folks in RSA-truly amazing!!!

I met Kim Wolhuter at Mala Mala in Dec wow! what a life he's got!

We actually passed him several mornings when setting out on our drives and he is returning after a long night's filming.His daughters will sleep on the back of his landrover while he is filmilng through the night!

After returning from a night's filming he goes on a morning jog in Mala Mala!! absolutely no fear!

Word has it that when making the film about Tjololo this leopard got so familiar with him that it would scent mark by urinating on him before Tjololo would set out for a hunt.

He wore the same blue jacket every night for the three years duration of this film.

Search this Thread