Search

Tel Aviv or Jerusalem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:30 AM
Nancy

Tel Aviv or Jerusalem

Hi! We have about 5 nights to spend in either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. Would like recommendations for which is the more comfortable city to base ourselves in for that time. We'll plan to visit other places (and the other city) if time/energy permit.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:01 AM
Angela

Nancy <BR>Jerusalem would be my choice as it is a more attractive place to base oneself. Both cities would be ideal bases though as far as exploring the rest of the country. Tel Aviv does have the advantage of a wonderful beach (depending on what you like). I am more a museum and historical sights person though so would choose Jerusalem. Tel Aviv might be good for one day. If I remember rightly there is a good museum there - The Diaspora Museum, telling the story of the Jewish communities throughout the world and how they came to be. Apart from this, the beach and the "old" port of Jaffa/Joppa, it isn't though the most attractive of cities. It is very modern. Jerusalem beats it hands down in terms of visitor attractions, architecture and scenery. Don't miss Yad Vashem (The Holocaust Memorial) and The Israel Museum with the Shrine of the Book. The surrounding countryside driving up from the airport is lovely as you drive higher and higher into the Jerusalem hills. The Galilee, (Lake Kinneret) and the Golan are easily reachable from Jerusalem. Metulla is a particularly pretty down on the northern border. Haifa is also worth a visit, as is Netanya which is a pretty beach resort. <BR>I see from your address you live in Germany? Israel is only about 4-5 hours from there. <BR>Angela <BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 12:43 PM
John

Nancy, Angela is quite right - Jerusalem is the better base if you're interested in the religious and ancient history, the mix of cultures, musums, the markets, etc. It's a unique experience. Tel Aviv is livelier, more uninhibited, more "European," plus it has the beach. Be advised Jerusalem is very quiet on the Jewish Sabbath (Friday night - Saturday night) with very limited services. Less the case in Tel Aviv. <BR> <BR>I would definitely add the Dead Sea and Masada to Angela's excellent list. Easily done in a day, but an overnight (try the Ein Gedi kibbutz hotel) is a real treat. <BR> <BR>Also on the coast, north from Tel Aviv, visits to Caeseria and Akko (Acre) are very worthwhile.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 02:05 PM
amik

Nancy, <BR>Check another posting under <BR>"Help with Itinerary in Israel" on this site, and of course other, older postings. <BR>If you are interested in a base for day-trips, TLV is definitely better Ð TLV is really the central, main city of Israel. A lot more tours (mostly tour buses, like Egged Tours) are leaving from there. <BR>BUT, to see the magic of Jerusalem you need 2-3-4 days, and it's faster to get to the Dead Sea (which I regard as a must) from there. So I would suggest having 2 bases: a few nights (yes, the weekend nights) in TLV, and then another few in Jerusalem. <BR>Hope this helps. <BR>Amik

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 10:26 PM
Lori

I don't know what time of year you're looking at which may also impact your decision (ie beach importance). Jerusalem has many more things to see if this is your first time in Israel. Perhaps you can split your time?