Tel Aviv or Extra Day in Jerusalem?

Aug 27th, 2019, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Tel Aviv or Extra Day in Jerusalem?

Hello,

My husband and I will be doing a Road Scholar trip of the Middle East this February. We plan to arrive in the evening a day and a half before the tour starts and wonder if those of you who have been there would recommend staying the first night in Tel Aviv (seeing the sights the next day and then heading to Jerusalem) or going straight to Jerusalem and skipping Tel Aviv. Our tour's itinerary includes two days seeing Jerusalem's Old City, the Mount of Olives, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, Mt. Zion, the Holocaust Memorial and a trip to Bethlehem. From there we depart for Masada.

We typically enjoy cultural sights, history, museums, wandering and food. Tel Aviv's old city looks intriguing but do you think our time would be better spent exploring more of Jerusalem?

I'd love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!
Aug 27th, 2019, 01:33 PM

Personally, I'd definitely opt for Tel Aviv. Visit old Jaffa, the Carmel market and the Neve Tzedek district, maybe the Museum of the Jewish People (formerly Museum of the Diaspora) or just hang out near the beach (probably rather empty in February.) Eat falafel in one of the many street cafes, or visit Dr. Shakshuka and have your life changed. Watch life as it's being lived by ordinary people. There's an energy and vibe in Tel Aviv that you won't see so much in Jerusalem. Where do you go after Masada?

Aug 27th, 2019, 04:48 PM

You don't say whether your tour covers TLV.

If your tour doesn't include TLV at all, I'd pick TLV simply to get a varied experience from what you're going to see on your tour. TLV certainly has all that you want ("cultural sights, history, museums, wandering and food").

If you're already going to TLV on your tour, more time in Jerusalem would be better as there's way more to see in Jerusalem and a tour will probably cover the highlights of TLV in a day.
Aug 27th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi again.
Our tour does not go to Tel Aviv which is why I was wondering if we should do it on our own. Thank you both for chiming in. I had not heard of Dr. Shakshuka, thanks for the terrific suggestion!
Aug 28th, 2019, 04:39 AM

Since your trip does not go to Tel Aviv, I agree with the others. Definitely spend your extra time in Tel Aviv. It's a vibrant city with a totally different feel from the other places you will be visiting.
Aug 28th, 2019, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Such helpful replies. Thank you!!