Little Governors Camp and Accessability

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! My family is scheduled to spend three nights in early December @ Little Governors. My father is 78 and I am concerned about his ability to make the hike everyday from the vehicles to the camp. He had back surgery several years ago and although he can walk, stairs and distance may be a challenge! Please let me know your thoughts! Thanks for the advice, I enjoy reading of everyone's experience and can't wait to go. Thanks again.
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:10 PM

We were at Lil Gov camp in Sep of 2006. Here is a photo of one side of the river. Steps/climb going into camp.
http://tinyurl.com/3nqckh
The other side where the vehicles usually started and finished also has steps. If I remember correctly, over there are not as many but they are somewhat steeper.

Also, it is possible, we did it for two days, to have the game drive vehicle operate from the Lil Gov camp side of the river. That is you do not cross the river and have all of those steps. Very near where the hot air balloons launch. But this not the usual way of doing game drives. We did it to locate Honey the cheetah and her cubs.

I'd suggest you check with Lil Gov camp. When we made reservations our TA advised us about the steps, it could be impossible for some people.

BTW, we very much enjoyed Lil Gov for the 5 nights and would like to go back. There are more photos of it at my above smugmug site.

regards - tom
ps - the main Gov Camp is on the other side of the river
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM

HI,
I have been there 3 years in a row staying for at least 7- 10 days and I LOVE it there. I am very sure if you check in with the managment that they would be willing to fetch you from the "balloon" side if the stairs are too much of a hassle. I have seen them do this and when I mentioned I had a bad knee, it was offered to me.
Rhoda
Old Oct 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM

Interesting Rhoda.
FWIW, If I recall correctly, most game drives for both Lil Gov and Main Camp Gov are done on the Main Gov side of the Mara river. For a vehicle to cross the Mara there is a bridge about 2(?) hours away. So if you start a game drive on the "balloon" side of the river I think your whole game drive is on that side. Maybe that's better, maybe not? That is, better for game viewing.

And, I envy your going there for 3 years.

regards - tom
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 06:41 AM

We just got back from Little Governor's two weeks ago. The walk to where the boat takes you across the river isn't that far, depending on where your tent is, but the steps are steep.

I didn't see anyone doing game drives from the Little Governor's side of the river. And the bridge across the river is two hours away. I'm sure if you e-mailed Governor's they'd be able to tell you if they could accomodate your request. They were always very quick to respond when I sent them e-mails, as we reserved directly through them and didn't use a TA.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM

When I was at Governor's 4 years ago my arthritis was giving me trouble. I found the steps down to the river crossing to Little Governor's difficult! As it happened, although we'd been booked into LG as part of a large group, LG camp was closed due to flooding or something, and we were moved to main camp, which worked out fine as our group took over the entire camp.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM

Thank you all for your responses! (My husband is captharry). We are working with a wonderful TA and I spoke to them this morning and they are working to move us to Il Moran. I've read lots of great thinks about the Governors Camps and am so relieved to move to Il Moran. My father-in-law doesn't like steps up to the second floor of a home! It would have been crazy to expect him to cross over several times a day, and he probably would have just stayed in camp! Thanks again, it is so nice to have good advice!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:18 AM

P.S., our original plans included two nights at Shompole and based on the beautiful pictures and many reviews, we have decided the slick, multi-leveled rooms may be too difficult to navigate. We are hoping that it will work out for us to go to Naibor.

New plan:
Ngong House-1 night
Totillis - 2
Saruni Samburu - 3
Il Moran - 3
Naibor - 2

We leave early December...can't wait!
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:21 AM

Oh dear, Saruni Samburu?
Stunning, stunning camp but also on a hill. You might want to ask whether you will be assigned the honeymoon tent RIGHT next to the central dining/ reception area otherwise there's a walk up to the cottages. It looks quite a mild slope but actually, I found it pretty hard nad had to get my walking stick out and take it slowly. Also, the vehicle ride UP to camp and DOWN from it is very jarring indeed.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Yipes!

Our agent asked all the camps for my F-I-L to be as near the main areas as possible. We thought Saruni, although on a rocky cliff, would be okay. Our family will be occupying 3 rooms (2 in a family tent), so we are hoping to dine in our area.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Well, from memory, there's on cottage directly next to the central area (I don't recall whether it's one of the single room ones or a family cottage with two rooms and dining) and then 3 cottages across a bit, where one has to go along a path with quite a few steps in it. Not steep steps but quite a few. I think 2 of those cottages are standard and one is definitely a family cottage with two bedrooms and a central dining area, as we had that one. It's doable, though he may find it a little tiring...
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 08:43 AM

PS We were there in late August.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM

For your consideration:

Ngong has tree-houses, with narrow winding steps. I even found it treacherous especially after dinner returning in dark. They have a family cottage with 2/bedrooms that have no steps (all at ground level); also two new cottages which I didn't see. Do ask for specific here to accommodation FIL.

Tortilis has lovely tents. There are the upper lever adjacent to reception you might want to consider. Otherwise, the remaining tents are down a hill which seems easy enough until you have to make the hike up from your tent to dining and out on game drives. Ask for specifics here, as well.

Saruni/Kalama - as Kavey mentions, the easiest cottage would be the first one, closest to the main public area. It is a two-bedroom/family cottage with 2/bathrooms and shared living and dining areas. The remaining cottages are a bit of a walk, with steps (short as they are) which may cause difficulty.

Naibor and Il Moran shouldn't be any problems. Though many prefer not to be closest to the public space (dining/lounge/bar) this might work best for your FIL.

Not to dissuade you from any of these lovely properties, but to be aware and specific in your requests, so as to avoid issues.

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Il Moran is a beautiful, intimate camp and the tents are amazing. IMO a nicer place to stay than LG's but about $300 more a night but your drinks are included. And no trek across the river! We were lucky enough to spend one night there because our tent at LG's wasn't available for our last night.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 04:33 PM

how bumpy are the rides, to see game? will this be a problem for your FIL, if they are rough?
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:38 AM

Thanks again everyone, my FIL should be fine with the bumpy rides, he will wear a brace and probably take a small pillow for his back. He is used to riding and looking at animals in Florida on gravel, dirt and unpaved roads, so I think he will be fine. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Sandi, Our TA did book a flat for him at Ngong House. Thank you for mentioning.
Old Oct 9th, 2008, 04:57 AM

Your FIL can ask to sit in the seat next to the guide/driver. It's less bumpy then the seats behind. It's also warmer from the heat of the engine, especially during the cool morning and evening game drives. Also easier to place a back cushion.