Tanzania Itinerary Feb/Mar 2008

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Though my wife and I would love to stay for a longer period of time, this is what we have set for our first safari experience. We planned it so "hopefully" we'll be right in the middle of the migration:

Day 1: Arrive Kilimanjaro airport (late) and get transfered to Kigongoni Lodge in Arusha for overnight.

Day 2: Free day in Arusha to catch up on sleep we didn't get on the planes (we can't sleep well on planes Guided nature walk through forest and coffee farm.

Day 3: Lake Manyara National Park. Overnight at Kirurumu Tented Lodge

Day 4: Ngorongoro Crater. Overnight at Ngorongoro Serena Lodge.

Day 5: Drive to Southern Serengeti game viewing along the way. Overnight Ndutu Lodge.

Day 6: : Southern Serengeti. Overnight at Ndutu Lodge.

Day 7: Southern Serengeti. Morning walking safari, afternoon game drive. Overnight at Ndutu Lodge.

Day 8: Southern Serengeti. Overnight at Ndutu Lodge.

Day 9: Southern Serengeti morning game drive. Drive back to Arusha. Day room for a couple hours at Kigongoni Lodge. Start the looooong flight back to Boise, ID.

We're excited!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Hi, I think your itinerary looks great. I don't know the lodges you've booked except the Serena Ngorongoro. You'll love it. We spent three nights in the Serengeti and saw everything one hopes to see. It exceeded my expectations. I got home last night so it's very fresh. We live in Seattle so I understand your long trip back to Boise. Serengeti was wonderful and the Ngorongoro Crater is equally beautiful. Have fun!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:43 AM

Itinerary looks good. So your actually drive into the Crater will be which day?
Morning of Day 4 you drive to Ngorongoro, do you do a Crater drive that evening?
Do you get another one the morning of Day 5 or do you wake up Day 5 morning and head right to the Crater?

Yeah Arusha is a good town to sleep in
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

lenlu - I'd love to hear about your trip and see pictures eventually!!

waynehazel - on the early morning of Day 4, we drive from Lake Manyara directly to the Crater for a 6 or 7 hour game drive, depending on when we get there. This is a private safari so it's very flexible. We'll make sure to wake up extra early that morning and get on the road so we can spend as much time as possible in the Crater.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Hmmm, I am trying to figure out your timing.
I can't remember how long it takes to get from Manyara to the Crater. Part of the road leading the Crater will be the greatest road you will experience in Africa, a smooth asphalt highway made by a Japanese firm. Then you enter the greater Ngorongoro area and the road is done & it is back to mud.

I think it is a minimal 2 hour drive from Manyara to the Crater + you need to ride down the Crater road. (someone help me with times)

So let's see, if you leave Manyara at 5:30AM, 8:30AM will be the <b>best</b> time you could be on the Crater floor. I forget what time they start letting people in the Crater, but the earlier the better (and the colder). So if you could leave Manyara while it is still dark it would help a lot.

By 11AM it is warm and it is nap time for predators.

here is me on the Serengeti, the beginning of the video shows us entering the Ngorongoro Conservation area
www.travelistic.com/video/show/1481

Then later we go to the Ngorongoro Serena and spend the next day in the Crater
www.travelistic.com/video/show/1482