Tanzania Bound

Dec 4th, 1997, 04:58 AM
Cathy Green

Tanzania Bound

My family and I are leaving in 2 weeks for safari with Overseas Adventure Travel. We will spend 12 days in Tanzania. Any suggestions for items to bring, particularly to give to schoolchildren we may meet? We are travelling with our 2 daughters, ages 10 & 12. We have all our shots, are ready for an adventure of a lifetime (altho our kids are bummed to miss the holidays here!), and would appreciate any advise. Thanks, cathy

Dec 4th, 1997, 03:38 PM
Don

Bring lots of pencels and ballpoint pens!!
The school kids love them !!

Dec 4th, 1997, 03:40 PM
Don

Bring lots of pencels and ballpoint pens!!
The school kids love them !!

Dec 4th, 1997, 08:15 PM
Rick Lijana

My wife and I travelled to Tanzania a few months back, you're right it is a trip of a lifetime.

We found that the pencils, pens were of limited if any value in negotiating for the items we bought. If you plan on visiting a village, I'm sure the pencils will come in handy to give to the village. You're better off bringing a Bulls tee shirt or something equivalent if you want to trade for something(for example an ebony carving). They like anything from the States. Be fierce when you negotiate. They'll come down a good 50%25 from asking. Also, suggest that you price Tanzanite from a local jeweler before you travel to Tanzania. You should be able to find great deals on Tanzanite if you do some homework. The vendors like to deal in US $. You'll probably get a better price vs. dealing with Tanzania Shillings. Have fun.

Dec 25th, 1997, 10:00 PM
Richard Briant

Hi,
Oh that I were going with you, Tanzania is such a beautiful place, I absolutely love it.

I don't know where you are going on safari so I can't help there but I assume you might spend at least a day or two in Dar es Salaam which is a magic city. If you get the chance you should travel to Zanzibar for a day at least, this place is quite something to see, tiny lanes, huge old wooden doors with brass knobs and intricate carvings, spice shops and lovely beaches.

In Dar es Salaam and Zanzibar it is unwise to wear any jewellery or expensive watches as these are targetted by the snatchers. Apart from that and the usual precautions of not walking at night, Dar and Zanzibar are quite safe.

The locals are really lovely, friendly people and will help wherever they can so mix with them as much as possible.

Take all precautions for malaria etc as this is a problem in Tanzania.

Just remember that when you buy something, the vendor has already added on about 100%25 because you are a foreigner, therefore be very fierce when negotiating price.

Have a great trip.

Search this Thread