Taking gifts to South Africa?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After an initial flurry of researching, booking, etc over 18 months ago, there came a hiatus when there was nothing to do but wait. But now our Sept. trip to Timbavati, Sabi Sands and Phinda is about 3 months away, and I'm starting to gear up again & get the last minute details ironed out. These boards have been so helpful throughout.

My original plan was to go to Tanzania; in reading about that, mention was often made about taking small gifts for the local people -- school supplies, Obama pins etc. Is this something people do when visiting the above mentioned regions? If so, what has been found popular?
Old Jun 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM

Don't import but buy locally to support the locals even more - just go to any supermarket/shop and get a box of pens, pencils, notebooks etc and donate them to a school. Handing out stuff randomly to kids is not a good idea. For people who really help you locally, a photo book of your home town or similar would be a great gift.
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 07:15 AM

The staff that work at the game lodges and parks in SA that you mentioned would probably just appreciate a good tip -in SA we have everything available in the towns and cities that these guys would want, so giving them some money to then choose what they want is best. In Tanzania and other African countries that are not as developed as SA, they can't get a lot of stuff in the shops, so hence the appreciation of actual goods and not just cash.

However, if you have some cool stuff from home that is specific to where you come from and you want to share it with locals who you have made a bond with, then by all means bring it along. Its not expected though (whilst a tip certainly is -for good service only though!)
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 09:36 AM

Sounds like you are going to SA game lodges and reserves like satpackpete says. Nice tips are always appreciated.

Will you also be visiting any communities, schools, cultural centers, etc.? A lot of those type places have crafts/souvenirs for sale so they would appreciated your business.

Are you requesting camp guides/rangers by name? If so, what do yo know about them? I have given camera memory cards to guides I know are into photography. And one guide our last trip we took a nice Philips mp3 player for him.

regards - tom
Old Jun 14th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for good responses. I will certainly support local businesses, tip appropriately, and bring stuff from home. Giant caps? Just kidding. Tom, as first timers we don't know any guides to request.