Search

Support Group???

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2006, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Support Group???

Is this where I come for my post-Africa depression? AUGH, I have been back a month and have such heartache! Anybody else experience this, will it get better? I know the cure is to plan my return trip, just not possible....yet. I wanna go back!
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:01 PM

Now is the time to start living vicariously through others' trip reports, as well as searching the web for Africa news, blogs, films, etc.

Also, it's never to early to start pre-planning the next trip even if there's no way you can afford it for years. Challenge yourself! Make it something really complicated, a "can't get there from here" itinerary.

Believe me, I can think of dozens of ways for one to occupy oneself while slowly (oh so very slowly) refilling the coffers.

Maybe you can get a job working with Brad and Angelina????
Old May 1st, 2006, 04:19 PM

Countingdown,

Did you do a report on your recent trip? Sorry if I missed it. I checked for posts under your name and did not see it. Put in a link for me if you did one. You went to Tanzania, right? You can get another “free trip” by reliving the first one through your report.

I would say the heartache gets better but there remains this addiction. Have you seen the addiction thread?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34794378

Until the next trip, you can chime in your advice, suggestions, experience for others who post questions about the places you went.

There is no rule on the time between planning and departure for Africa. So what if it is several years? Think how well prepared you will be. (I have plans in my head for July 2009!)

What were you thinking about for trip #2?

Old May 1st, 2006, 04:48 PM
Lin

countingdown, YES, I did experience the very same thing, dreaming about the sensory aspects of my trip for many weeks (smells, sounds, breathing the air!). I've been lucky and have gotten back a few times since. I suggest starting to use exclusively a credit card which will grant miles on an airline that will get you to Africa. Use it for every possible expense: groceries, other smaller trips, bills. Be happy when you have a huge expense - you're that much closer to your free flight! Next, investigate the mobile camping safaris in the less-touristy countries. These trips are much more affordable, if you can handle the rustic nature of the lodgings. I suggest North or South Luangwa NP in Zambia - here's a link I've been eyeing, for only $3325 per person! http://www.bushcampcompany.com/luangwa-encounter.htm - of course you must be careful to investigate all aspects of the trip. I'm sure there are many more similar possibilities out there. Do lots of travel research, that'll help!
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:20 PM

Yes, the Bushcamp Co's Luangwa Encounter looks good, as long as you did game drives once at the camps. I've stayed at Chamilandu...beautiful camp and location. Our guide almost walked into a leopard right in camp one afternoon. We spent the afternoon game drive looking for that leopard (successfully.) You could combine this with a stay in one of the camps on the north end of the park, such as Tafika or Kaingo.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:42 AM

Glad to hear you liked Chamilandu, Shaytay! I'll be there for three nights after my stint at Chiawa and Old Mondoro!

And yes, I, too, will be needing everyone's support when I get back ....I've said it before...I expect a complete meltdown when I return!