Search

Stressed out on South Africa / Vic Falls Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stressed out on South Africa / Vic Falls Itinerary

Hi all.

I've been pouring over Fodors posts for the last couple of weeks trying to make final decisions on an August trip. Everytime I think I've come up with a good plan, I read something else that concerns me!!! We've saved for a long time for this trip and I want to make it right...any thoughts about the following itineray would be greatly appreciated!!

Day 1 Transfer from JNB to Livingstone (3nts. Royal Livingstone)...tour falls, elephant safari, Chobe day trip (is this worth it??)

Day 4 Transfer to Capetown (4 nights at lodging to be decided..any suggestions?) Table mountain, Robbins island, Peninsula tour, Cheetah interaction, etc..)

Day 8 Transfer to Madikwe (4 nights Morukuru lodge)...I've read all the opinions on Madikwe and am wondering if I'm making a mistake. Yet trip advisor reviews rate this very highly. Should I be changing to Sabi Sands??

Day 12 Transfer back to JNB and connect to USA..

We are a family of 4 (2 teenagers, including a wildlife obsessed 14 year old!). I'm even open to skipping Vic Falls if anyone thinks doing Madikwe AND Sabi Sands instead is a better idea.

Thanks for any input!!!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 10:36 AM

If you can, I would recommend spending a night at Chobe -- you will see a much greater number of animals in Chobe than either Madikwe or Sabi Sands. I visited Chobe also in August (but in 2001) and saw groups of elephants in the hundreds, enormous groups of hippos and crocs, lion, wild dog, and all the usual suspects. Plus, Chobe is one of the few places where you can safari from boat, and you will see a lot while on the Chobe river. If it was me, I would focus on Chobe and the Sabi Sands, and skip Madikwe (that being said, I have only visited the first two and not Madikwe).

Chobe is frequently criticized because of its popularity, and you will certainly see other vehicles, but as a family of four, you may be able to hire your own vehicle for less than you'd pay at one of the top Sabi Sands lodges. I stayed at Chobe Game Lodge (more like a hotel than a safari lodge), but I spent most of the day game viewing -- in fact, its the only lodge that I've been to that offered FOUR game activities: a morning and evening drive, and a late morning and early afternoon boat cruise. I did all four, and didn't have the downtime that you'll have at a lodge that only offers morning and late afternoon drives.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:34 PM

If you have been pouring over Fodors reports, then you've seen the most recent on Madikwe, I assume. Those may be your cause for concern.

I have no Madikwe experience either. Was your initial interest in Madikwe that it was malaria free? That can be more of a consideration with kids. If so, then my suggestions are NOT malaria-free.

The day trip to Chobe might even mean you have to get malaria prevention for that outing. Don't know if just a DAY trip warrants it. An international travel clinic could help with that one.

Your question: Is the day trip to Chobe worth it? Yes. I'd go on to ditto Thit Cho's remarks on Chobe as a good spot for more than one day. The Chobe <u>sunset</u> wildlife cruise is the most prolific for wildlife, more so than midday cruises that might be your only choice on the day trip. That river cruise is spectacular and even though you might be offered a very nice cruise or easy raft trip on the Zambezi from Livingstone, there is no comparison wildlife-wise with the Chobe cruise.

What about this?

2 Livingstone
With kids, an ele safari would be a hit. You can do raft trips that are not in the rapids too. A couple of days there would make sense.

2 Chobe, stay overnight. Chobe Safari Lodge would be good and cruises leave right from their dock. Other places would work well too.

4 Cape Town

3 Sabi Sands
Elephant Plains gets high marks for animals and value. Mala Mala is legendary for game viewing and I saw lots there. There's lots and lots of fine choices in Sabi Sands. In general Sabi Sands has reputation for more prolific wildlife than Madikwe.

That keeps the # of days the same.

If you are catering to the wildlife-obsessed child who would not mind giving up riding the ele to see more wild eles, then maybe skipping Vic Falls would be a good idea and you could do just Madikwe and Sabi Sands.

Finally, here is a thought that shows how much I liked my time at Chobe. I am planning a return (someday) that would spend at least 4 nights there.

3 Chobe
4 Cape Town
4 Sabi Sands

This is more transfering than I usually care to do and you'd have to see how it works out. But it's less transferring than my first suggestion. I think you'd have the most wildlife and the most interesting viewing options with this one. But it sacrifices Vic Falls.

If none of the suggestions you get here are appealing or work out with availability, you'll have a great family outing with your original plan too.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:40 PM

I would second thit_cho's tips. I've never been to Madikwe (which gets differing reviews) but Sabi Sands can't be beat. And for a first timer who' been saving up for this, you have a much better chance for top-notch game viewing in SSGR.
AS for Chobe, I'd trade one night at Vic Falls, at least, for Chobe. We stayed at Cobe Game Lodge in October 2006 and the game was out of this world (esp. the elephants, but it had EVERYTHING). The lodge is in the park, so you head out early in the morning before the crowds from outside the park arrive.
(And beware the cheetah interaction at Spiers, if that's what your talking about. Very expensive for only a few minutes with them and huge busloads of tourists, from most reports. Better to see them in the wild, IMHO.)
Make sure you make reservations for Robbin Island way ahead; it books up fast. You're hotel concierge can do this. In Cape Town, we styaed at the Cape Grace. Very pricey, but one of the top places.
Leslie
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 04:46 PM

We just spent a week in Cape Town and were very happy to have rented an apartment in the Sea Point neighborhood a block off the ocean front. You might consider looking at online sources such at www.vrbo.com if that sounds interesting. The Cape Grace hotel is quite nice as Leslie has recommended- we ate dinner one night there and also had cocktails there on new years eve- however I didn't particularly like being at the V&amp;A waterfront for any extended period of time as it is very crowded and touristy.

Robbin Island was completely booked the entire time we were there- absolutely book before you go.

A township tour was a not to be missed experience in CT also. We rented a car and drove to Boulders Beach, Simons Town and Cape of Good Hope one day which was very nice.

Have fun!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the direction. It seems like all signs point to Sabi Sands over Madikwe. It also seems a bit clearer that to do Chobe justice we would need to spend more than a day trip there (and at $900 for a family of 4 to day trip I'd want to make sure that it's money well spent).

atravelynn (and anyone else willing to chime in!!) - do you think either of these would be too much...

2 nights Vic falls
3 nights Cape Town
4 nights Phinda (4 for 3 special...)
3 nights Sabi Sands

OR

2 nights Vic falls
2 nights Chobe
3 nights Cape Town
4 nights Sabi sands

I know I threw Phinda into the mix instead of Chobe...seemed like it got good reviews and was somewhat more reasonable.

LAleslie - thanks for the heads up on the spiers cheetah's. That's the last type of experience we're looking for!!!!
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM

just curious why you wouldnt consider the delta and linyanti area? i am going in march, but researched all these areas and it seems like the delta and the linyanti area are supposed to be great.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

fluke - good question.

your answer: my wife has invoked a &quot;windows and walls&quot; rule. I'm afraid the delta experience might push her a bit too far for her first safri experiece!!

It also pushes our budget a bit.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:17 AM

Your option:
2 nights Vic falls
2 nights Chobe
3 nights Cape Town
4 nights Sabi sands

is good as it provides a full day at Vic Falls, after arrival. Can visit the Falls and other activities. For visiting Chobe the transfer is easy, maybe 1.5/hrs total (certainly easier than going into the Delta).

An alternative to Chobe Safari Ldge (big) is Chilwero Camp. Chilwero isn't tents, but 10 lovely large A-frame cottages, on great grounds facing the Chobe River.

The balance w/ 3-days CPT and 4-days Sabi Sand round out the trip.

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Phinda would be good too. They have many activities such as canoeing, rhino tracking on foot (check on age requirements), flying safaris to see the ocean species, village visits, etc. Some of these are included in the cost of lodging and some are extra. Plus Phinda will be your best chance at seeing cheetah of anywhere you have listed.

For sheer numbers of animals and for wildlife along a river, Chobe has it. I'd still lean toward Chobe, especially with kids along.

You can see how the cost and logistics of Phinda match up with Chobe.

For Cape Town, what were you planning?
-Robben Island where Mandela was held prisoner--half day. Plan ahead on this, as has been mentioned.

-Penninsula Tour with Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve, stopping at Boulders Bay in Simonstown for penguins--whole day.

-Table Mountain, depending on how you ascend-half day or less up to whole day.

-Spier-half day, maybe less.

-Whale watching or Great White Shark watching-early morning until early afternoon, usually.

You can easily fill four days or more in this region.

On Spier's cheetah, I've decided not to do it, but several other people had wonderful reviews of their cheetah visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Obviously, the transfer to Chobe from Vic falls is a ground one. Is the way back to JNB a ground transfer back to Vic falls or a flight from Kasane???

Chobe Chilero is booked for our dates, any other suggestions besides the Chobe game lodge??

Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:41 AM

Most likely a flight from Kasane. Ground back to Vic Falls, then air to JNB is possible too.

You can check on kayak dot com for options.

How about Muchenje in Chobe?
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Muchenje looks like a great option..not a budget breaker..they even have a &quot;family cottage&quot; (queen downstairs with twins in a loft). I think I'll find out more!

Lynn - While I'm tapping your expertise,do you have any experience with Exeter Dulini, Sabi Sabi Bush Lodge, or Chitwa Chitwa in Sabi Sands? (or should I just concede and spend the extra money to stay at Londolozi or Mala Mala?)

I'll be begging for change on the street corner before this is over!!(HAHA!)
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 05:45 PM

No experience with those accommodations. I’ve stayed only at Mala Mala in the Sabi Sands.

Here are some comments on other Sabi Sands options and discussions.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35085807

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34851085

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34761039

As a less expensive option Elephant Plains has gotten some good reviews and has me intrigued.

I met a couple in Botswana who are TA’s in Canada and had been to Africa 22 times told me they stay at Elephant Plains or Goma Goma (I think that’s next door to Sabi Sands in Timbavati). They said it is not necessary to pay to dollar at the more expensive locations for great wildlife viewing.

See you on the corner, I have northeast end staked out.
Old Jan 27th, 2008, 07:09 PM

RE discussion on logistics ..... Kasane is only like a 20 or 25 minute hop from the falls and is literally next door to the chobe. Your best way of getting to JNB is through Vic falls or Livingstone.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 12:37 AM

Cape Town lodgings -

First trip we stayed the Cape Grace and loved it. Second trip we split - we spent a few days at the Commodore (just a 2-3 block walk to the Waterfront) which was quite nice and then we stayed at an apartment at the Waterfront (across the harbor area behind the Cape Grace).

We enjoy the waterfront because of all the activity. I guess it could be considered touristy with all the shops, but for us (coming from very 3rd world locations) it was a slice of heaven. We loved walking around and looking at the harbor, and eating at all the different restaurants. And - hate to say it - but we liked the mall! Mainly because it had a movie theater and because we needed things we couldn't' get where we lived! Oh - and except for the trip to the Cape - we didn't need a car.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Well, I'm about to pull the trigger on the following trip:

2 nights Vic Falls (Royal Livingstone)

2 Nights Chobe Game Lodge
3 Nights Cape Town (De Waterkant)
4 Nights Sabi Sands (Exeter Dulini)

Any final words of wisdom before I take the plunge???

Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:37 AM

Was at Exeter Dulini in 2006 - Very nice lodge! Also, nice combination with the big herds of elephant and buffalo you will see in the chobe.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:40 AM

After reading the other thread with the Zambia visa fees, suggestion:

- If going to Zambia to see the Falls, consider visiting Zimbabwe.
- Falls views are better from the Zim side.
- Zim dual-entry visa is only $35-$40/person. On entry, then returning from Botswana to Zim
- Easy for road transfer from Zim to Botswana border, 1/hr, then about 45/min (or less) to Chobe Safari Lodge
- Arrive into VFA airport, stay here, there are activities that can be done on this side.

Granted situation in ZIM isn't very pleasant, but Vic Falls is safe and welcoming to tourists.

Many like the Ilala Hotel or the Victoria Falls Hotel; for funky there is the Kingdom.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 05:47 AM

If you are not doing any of the adrenaline activities like whitewater rafting etc etc., one night at the falls will suffice. You can do extra day in chobe.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -