Stanley Hotel

Sep 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Stanley Hotel

I've read that the Serena is in a not so great area so I'm considering the Stanley Hotel instead. Any opinions about which is best? Not interested in the Norfolk. Thanks.
Sep 26th, 2006, 09:37 PM

we enjoyed the Stanley last month. Old but nicely renovated. A good value, I believe.
Sep 26th, 2006, 11:40 PM
aby

hi LizYoung

"Stanley" is more central - if u wanna walk around town-center, shopping etc'

Stanley should be cheaper
*another option, equivalent location & price is Hilton

Stanley has the 'TREE' - since the day of the hunters, folks put their notes on the Yellow Fever Acacia (Thorntree).
The old big tree is gone by now. But a young substitute is there and so r the notes looking for a safari companion or sending regards to someone who should pass-by next month after returning from the bush...

aby
Sep 27th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Hi Liz

We went to Kenya on honeymoon in March this year (from SA). We spent the last night of our trip in Nairobi at the Serena - it was wonderful. Very nice bar & selection of restaurants within the hotel. Extremely friendly & helpful staff (arranged a taxi at 4am when our driver didn't arrive).
We had lunch at the Stanley (my grandfather was posted there during WW11 so had heard about the tree etc). Great food & service plus right in town if you want to sight see etc. Karen Blixen museum is a MUST.
Sep 27th, 2006, 01:30 AM

If you are interested in goofing around the city centre, then the Stanely hotel will be ideal. For quietness Serena.
Sep 27th, 2006, 02:49 AM

Hi,

The Stanley is right in the heart of the city centre and it can get quite noisy during the day..the Serena is in a quieter location but more expensive. Have you considered the Fairview? Good value for money and has a nice location as well.
regards
Sonal
Sep 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM

I really don't like the Stanley.
Impersonal, busy, overpriced.
The rooms are dark.
Breakfast is nowhere near as good as the Serena
Sep 28th, 2006, 10:31 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Fairview for three nights back in July. Very nice hotel with great restaurants. The "economy double" room option was plenty of space for the 2 of us. There are definitely more business people staying there than tourists. It's not in the city center, but within an easy cab ride.

On a shopping trip downtown one morning, we stopped by the Stanley so I could show my wife the thorn tree. There were hardly any messages on the board -- it was quite a different sight from when I was there in April 1996. I guess the internet (and forums like this one) have made it obsolete.

Darren