Spain to Tangier to Marrakesh

Oct 2nd, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Spain to Tangier to Marrakesh

I (my travelling companion and I)are planning on a quick trip to Marrakesh from Spain and am not sure if I have everything thought out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is a bit overwhelming. We are planning on taking a morning train from Madrid to Algeciras (8am-2pm), an afternoon ferry to Tangier and an overnight train (9pm-8am) to Marrakesh. Since we are in the US, we cannot get the Tangier/Marrakesh train tickets until we arrive in Tangiers, a few hours prior to planned departure. Logistically, it seems like this should work...has anyone else done this route...is it likely that we will have problems getting the train tickets for Marrakesh so late? Also, I understand there are two train stations in Tangiers...which is the best on to go to...are they difficult to navigate/get tickets? Does anyone have suggestions on how to spend a few hours, safely, in Tangiers? I GREATLY appreciate any advice.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:25 PM

I cannot answer to the train stations as we took a bus from Tangiers to Marrakesh. We found Tangier to be fairly safe and walked along the shore, major avenues and in the markets. If you like unique shows and great food try Chez Ali in Marrakesh. It was great!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:29 PM

Don't lnow where in Spain you'll be but easyjet has super cheap flights to marrakech.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM

Also might want to repost on the Europe board, may get more feedback
Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM

Traveler_240,
My advice is about 10 years out of date but since no one else has replied yet I will chime in! I did exactly the same thing in 1996 when I was studying in Spain, and it worked fine. We took a bus from Sevilla to Algiceras, then the ferry to Tangier. The ferry dock was a very short walk to the train station, where we bought tickets for the overnight train to Marrakech. I am not sure about the two train stations, when we were there we just turned left (I think) at the end of the ferry dock and it was only a few minutes' walk.

At the time (don't know if this has changed), it was impossible to get train tickets in advance of our arrival in Morocco, and I seem to recall there was also some confusion about exactly when the train left. We had no problem getting the tickets on arrival in Tangiers (there were 7 of us), and bought first class tickets (four seats/couchettes per cabin) which were inexpensive and fairly comfortable). Unfortunately I don't remember what time we arrived in Tangier but it wasn't more than a few hours before the train left.

We had a few hours before the train left and walked up to and around the medina. We were 7 18-19 year old girls and definitely received some attention but while it can be somewhat overwhelming, I never felt unsafe.

Hopefully someone with more recent experience can also chime in!
Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the information!! I had heard you have to take a taxi from the ferry in Tangiers to the train station in Tangiers...is that correct?

Thanks!!