South Africa Trip

Old Dec 13th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Africa Trip

We are about to book a trip with Riviera Travel to South Africa, flying to Joburgtwo nights, then via Blyde River Cannon tothr Kruger National Park staying at the Hippo Hollow Country Estate for three nights.

Followed by the Zulu Battlefields staying two nights near Vryheid,returning to Joburg and flying to the western Cape and staying atthe Knysna Hollow Country Estate for two nights followed by two nights at the Devon Valley hotel in the winelands.

Ending with three nights in Cape Town staying at the Hollow on the Square Hotel.

Ha sanybody stayed at any of these hotels before, and will the weather be best in April or May ?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Dec 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Hi John,

I stayed twice at Cape Town Hollow, which too is part of Season's in Africa. The hotel is rated 3 star, it is in a quiet location, across the street from Company Gardens (a block or two down from Mt. Nelson Hotel) and has a very good buffet breakfast. Friendly and nice staff. http://www.capetownhollow.co.za/

Enjoy your planning. Never heard of Riviera Travel. Where are they based?

Regards...
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 09:19 PM

All I can say is that I am glad to see that someone is going to KZN and battlefields.

Far too many people miss out on this. I could explore KZN for a month and not get tired. South Coast, North Coast (Sodwana bay), midlands, battlefields and Drakensberg.

Plenty of good game reserves as well. Ithala, Mkuzi, Umfolozi etc..

Enjoy your trip John.. I am sure the hotels will be alright.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:27 AM

I just have one question, why not fly directly from Durban to the Western Cape.

Mark
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 02:39 PM

John - my trip/question is also about an itinerary with ~Riviera Travel!its the other South Africa trip to the one we are taking - my parents thought the trip you mention actually looked better, but it didnt have the dates that suited them. I think the one you mention sounds good and good value for money. We are also due to stay at the same hotel you mention in Cape Town too. I think the Kruger/Zulunatal part of your tour looked great - the tour we are doing to Vic Falls and safari for only 2 days is a bit too rushed for me. Have a good time!

PS: Riviera Travel is a UK-based company I think.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:05 PM

Very interesting and different itinerary than the ones usually posted here. Can't comment on any of the details (except I believe Cape Town weather will be rather blustery that time of year) but do hope you'll post a trip report if you do this trip. We want to go back to KZN and do the battlefiels and Umfolozi at some point.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM

Forgot...we did do the Blyde River Canyon route two years ago (based in White River; said to be good fishing there in season)and the scenery is fabulous, with nice little towns along the way.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:33 AM

April will be better than May in most locations, for N.Hemisphere types it's the difference between October and November.

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM

We stayed at Hippo Hollow Country Estate and liked it. It's quite relaxed and not at all stuffy (which we like). Try to get a room overlooking the river so you can watch the hippos and crocs from your balcony. The restaurant is good - the only problem we had was cold food, not a problem with the hotel but because we kept having to leave the table to look at the hippos grazing on the lawn during dinner, but the staff are very patient! There is a small shopping mall nearby with a couple of places to eat if you want to leave the hotel.

Can't help with your other questions - Enjoy your trip!