South Africa transportation

Nov 11th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

South Africa transportation

What is the best way to get around in South Africa? Here is our itinerary: Johannesburg to Sabi Sands (Kruger) to Cape Town.

Also, what is the best way to get around within Johannesburg (transportation from the airport to our guesthouse is in Randburg; transportation from our guesthouse to/from matches at both stadiums - Ellis Park and Soccer City)

We will be there during the World Cup so supposedly there is going to be additional transportation, but I don't know what that entails.
Nov 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM

We just rented a car and drove our selves. It was very easy, the roads are excellent and well marked. Even driving on the gravel roads in Sabi sands was easy and we had a little Toyota Yarris. We flew between J burg and cape town on Mango airlines..cheap, no frills, but it is only a 1.5 hr flight. Enjoy and give yourselves enough time to get from point A to point B. It may be only 70 km, but the speed limits are NOT very fast due to people, animals and at times the gravel roads.
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:31 PM

I'd fly JNB to Kruger, Skukuza airstrip. FedAir and GenAir fly there (but not SAA I believe). Are you going to Kruger or Sabi Sand? MalaMala has an airstrip used by MM, Kirkmans and Lion Sands, and?, SAA airline everyday. Also other charter airstrips in Sabi Sand for other camps. Fly JNB to CPT.

The camps you are going to and/or your TA can help a lot with this, make flight reservations.

Will your guest house pick you up at JNB? Many do. Ask them and about getting to WC matches.

regards - tom
Nov 12th, 2009, 03:09 AM

Guest hous/airport transfers: Guest house will most probably provide these, maybe at additional cost. Just ask.
The same with the transfers to the stadiums. Getting back to GH might become a bit challenging! Ask your GH also in that regards. They have got info when/where/how.......
I assume your TA has booked the GH as well. Ask him for the contact details and sort that out yourself. It's always better to have personal contact with GH for such details.

JNB-Krüger-JNB: I would fly any leg possible! TA will/must reserve soon!

I have no information whether the Gautrain is serving Randburg already during WC. Getting taxis might also be a challenge after the game.

What you should do in any case: Get your cellphone unlocked for South Africa or rent a SA cellphone/sim so that the you and the GH can communicate at any given time.
http://www.cellcrentals.co.za/
http://www.cellucity.co.za/
http://www.vodacom.co.za/

At "normal" times they provide you with your SA cellphone number in advance. I don't know whether they do it for the WC as well. Anyway - you can book your sim and or phone in advance (well, normally maybe 4 weeks in advance. Maybe during WC it's more or less as these guys might have huge traffic as well!) and pick up on arrival.

Happy travels!

SV
Nov 12th, 2009, 03:16 AM

For your peace of mind you can contact
http://www.kwathlano.co.za/
and ask for rates for all legs incl. to/from Sabi Sand.
They should be able to book all transfers needed - except the ones after the games, or even these!
Ask for LINDIE Stiehler. A very nice and competent lady.

Enjoy SA!

SV