South Africa - Special Fall Airfare Sale

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:21 PM
sandi

Just received from Premier Travel, but I'm sure available direct through SAA -

If anyone can depart on spur of the moment, this is a great deal (best fare I've seen for this time period in years):

EARLY FALL & WINTER SALE

$660.00

Roundtrip plus tax and a $50 service fee

Depart: Between Nov 11 – Nov 30, 2006

Return by: Dec 31, 2006

Subject to availability
New Bookings Only
Last Day to ticket November 30

Must be ticketed within 72 hours of reservation
Call Premier at: 800-545-1910,
or fax 215-893-0357

Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's a great fare -- US to SA for the same amount as my flight from London to Kilimanjaro! Thanks Sandi!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 02:50 PM

Incredible fare, but I can't take advantage (I have already booked my Thanksgiving trip).

Hopefully someone can take advantage.
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM

Sooo tempting.
But let me ask a silly question please. I looked up SAA to see how they would fly from LAX to JNB. They stop at Dulles (IAD) or JFK and then to JNB. And it says "operated by United Airlines" and cost is $1,900 (for next September 2007). What does this "operated by " mean? Will the plane say UA on the side of it or SAA? And the crew be UA or SAA?
Out of curiosity, I go to UA web site and request flights from LAX to JNB the and answer is totally different, flights go to ZRH or LHR first then to JNB and the cost is $2,200. And the last half, to JNB, is operated by SAA!!!!
Is this logical to anyone? Of course airline schedules, fares and rules have always been rather silly.
regards - tom
Old Nov 3rd, 2006, 07:41 PM
santharamhari

Tom,

In all probability, SAA code-shares with United and they are a partner airline, perhaps. Which means, you fly united from LA to either JFK or Dulles and then get on the SAA long-haul flight......

Hari

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 04:37 AM
sandi

UA and SAA are now code-share partners, with IAD (Dulles) being UA's hub.

Don't have details on whose metal flies the leg to SA, probably SAA.

If you can't find the fares direct thru SAA, go to Premier. They've been offering great fares during this Fall period and other times during the year. I'd deal with Premier directly. Sure hope someone can take advantage.

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM

I think it's UA to IAD, then SAA to South Africa. You might try Kayak.com or Sidestep.com to look for the best fares. I always find better fares using these websites, then click through to the website actually selling the ticket. I don't know why the cheaper fares don't come up when I check the websites directly (such as UA or CheapTickets.) If you're not finding the cheap IAD -JNB fare, it could be that they only had a few seats at that price and they are already gone (the usual airline trick!)
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Hi,

How much do tickets from the east coast to Johannesberg normally cost? I plan on using frequent flier miles for my flights but if my sister joins me she will need to buy a ticket. She lives in New York.

Moira
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:30 PM
sandi

Moira -

Depends on time of the year. Use the www.kayak.com site to search for your dates and see what prices appear.

Others -

If the fare doesn't appear on Kayak, other consolidators or airline websites, maybe this is exclusive to Premier; as I said, they've been doing this for 25/years and have a relationship with SAA. If these $660 seats are gone, next level up can't be much more. The lowest we've paid JFK/JNB/CPT/JNB/JFK has been $800 incl. tax - and that's a good deal as well.