Search

Something for Traveler's Diarrhea?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something for Traveler's Diarrhea?

Hi there

We are starting to buy our personal affects for our safari in February and was wondering what you all have brought with you in the past for potential stomach issues, like Traveler's Diarrhea? We would like to try and carry on our luggage, so it would have to fit in a quart sized ziplock bag with our other stuff, so the smaller the better

TIA!!

Old Dec 26th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Immodium and/or a prescription from your doctor.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:50 AM

Cipro works faster and better than Imodium. You need a prescription for it in the USA but it can be bought over the counter in many other countries.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM

My travel doctor prescribed Cipro and suggested also bringing along Pepto tablets.
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM

My prescription is for zithromax, as I am allergic to a lot of other antibiotics. My doctor says immodium can slow down a mild problem, which is great, but be vigilant, because it can also mask the symproms of something more severe, which should be treated.
Jess
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:20 AM

The important question: what do you do if IT happens and you are scheduled to leave camp next morning with a small bush plane w/o any loo? None of the medication helps you in this situation, and I've already experienced travellers who were about re-organizing their whole trip because of this...
Old Dec 26th, 2007, 10:28 AM

My doctor suggested I take Florastor on the first sign of stomach problems and then use Cipro if the Florastor doesn't work. In Botswana my stomach started acting up and I took the Florastor twice a day for two days and I was fine. I have also found it to be effective on other trips. It maintains balance of intestial flora and is not a prescription in Canada.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 05:13 AM

Please be aware that Cipro and Immodium have totally different methods of working, and you take them for different reasons, even though they are both for diarrhea.

Immodium slows down your intestinal system so you just don't have to 'go' as much. It is wonderful if you are on a drive without bathroom opportunities, but some people feel that it can actually cause you to become sicker, since the bad germs stay inside you instead of being expelled.

Cipro kills bacteria, both good and bad, and should only be taken if you feel you have a rather significant case, not just because you have had an episode or two of the runs. Ironically, one of the side effects is diarrhea. Also, once you start taking it, you should take the full prescription -- I sometimes see people on this board recommending that one pop a pill or two 'just in case' and that is a really really bad idea, as you are more likely to end up with a resistant strain.

Some people also like to bring along some oral rehydration salts, to treat dehydration. And wet wipes can be very helpful if you are ill with this kind of thing.

As always, it is best to talk to your travel doc about his recommendations for which meds to bring, and what symptoms to take them for.

By the way, if it is not liquid, it does not have to fit in the quart sized ziplock.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all!!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 06:36 AM

We take DUKORAL before we leave - it's an oral vaccine for traveler's tummy - available in Canada so maybe you could order via an internet pharmacy.

Also - someone mentioned Pepto tablets - I understand they work as a preventative measure if you take one a day every day.

Have fun!
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Having just suffered from a bout of this [at home, as a result of a visit to a thai restaurant, from which the rest of the family emerged unscathed] I feel that I can talk from a position of strength!

my preference would be for "better out than in" unless onward travel was unavoidable, in which case, the "delaying the inevitable" route may be the way to go.

Which is a way of saying that you should take both - you don't know when it'll strike as my experience proves.

but in either case, keep drinking. and if it carries on for more than 24 hours, seek medical assistance.
Old Dec 27th, 2007, 08:19 AM

ann_nyc,

My doctor told me to only take the cipro as needed. I know for most antibiotics it is nec. to take the entire script of pills, but this is what she suggested for cipro. not sure who is correct, but just wanted to put in my two cents!
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:10 PM

jenbertone,
Your doctor was correct, take it at the dose she prescribed (usually 500mg twice daily) for 1 to three days or until your symptoms resolve. Do not take an antimotility medication if there is any blood observed. Use bottled water for everything, even tooth brushing and you should be O.K.. Relax, it's not as bad as Mexico.
Cheers-safarichuck
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 12:50 PM

This is all fine and good, but you're in the middle of a safari, transfers are happening, game drives, whatever and you don't want to change diapers every couple hours in the bush or on a plane till 'maybe' the drugs kick in. Let alone miss the transfer and miss part of your safari,pay extra to catch up. I suggested Diasorb before. It basically plugs you up for the day and later....... This is a unique situation and it calls for a unique solution. I've had food poisoning before in Tanzania. Had a transfer to make, and Diasorb made it possible. Plus Cipro in that instance. It still took 2 days and 3 nites to get rid of it. But I made the transfer and the game drives.
Old Dec 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM

luangwablondes, I favor people taking responsibility for themselves but you might want to know that the makers of Diasorb and all similar products do NOT recommend use when blood is or fever are present. If you feel the circumstances merit the risk, go for it. I really don't like to see this forum used for medical advice and only stick my noses in when I think I might correct a mistake or help someone out. Do what suits you but at least do a bit of research and learn why it is not a good idea to always plug yourself up.
Cheers-safarichuck
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 08:49 AM

My few cents worth...

Firstly I agree with safarichuck. Tricky discussing medical matters. These are merely personal opinions and heresay. Please don't quote or sue me!

- Cipro is very good. Personally I would finish the course just to be on the safe side. Lots of these bugs "reoccur" (sp?) if not properly killed. Cipro has few side effects if I am not mistaken?
- Imodium, Limotil and Motilium are all good esp if you have a small plane to catch.
- It is a popular misconception that "blocking" your system with medication keeps the germs inside. The "germ" is not in your stomach but bloodstream so it makes no difference how many times you use the "facilities" The germ must be killed so anti-biotics are needed. The anti-diarrea tablets do not kill, merely surpress.
- Never stop drinking bottled water no matter how bad you feel. You must stay hydrated otherwise it is far worse. Take a few sachets of rehydration salts with you and add them to your water.
- Drink even if you are not thirsty. Diarrhea is often a symptom of dehydration in the first place.
- Take your malaria pills in the morning with your breakfast. Some medication causes unhappy tummies esp if you are not taking in fluids. If you take your medication at night then there is a period of some 8 hours when you are not taking in fluids so there is a build up of the drug in your system. This is also very important for parents travelling with children. Make sure they drink water. Keep in mind their body weight can be possibly 30% of dad's yet they are given the same dosage of medication ie: three times more concentration of the drug in their smaller bodies so more chance of a side effect.

Like I said, don't quote me but do research it before your holiday. Rather be prepared than not.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 09:37 AM

O.K., I give up in total frustration-safarichuck
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Geez safarichuck
this is about travelers diarrhea. Not cholera or bleeding ulcers or some other exotic disease.
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 10:03 AM

That's why I'm giving up
Old Dec 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM

With all respect to your profession, safarichuck, I've also given up asking common doctors about these things and now prefer the advice from the experts at our local tropical desease centre who often deliver more 'practical' solutions.

I only got once this malady, but then none of the standard medication could stop it. Fortunately I hadn't a transfer on the next morning, but at next camp some people with same problems had and they were already busy re-scheduling their trip.

In this regard I appreciate 'practical' tips like those from luangwablondes. And sorry, it isn't about "always plug yourself up" but as luangwablondes said "a unique situation".

And btw, millions of people have to live with similar 'problems' in their very daily life, and I often wonder why none of the experts in travel forums explains us how those people are dealing with this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -