Search

Solo gorilla trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo gorilla trip

I really want to see the gorillas and some of Rwanda/Uganda and probably will have to do the trip alone and during part of the rainy season-have to work around the college calendar. I've read many of the reports here but has anyone done this trip as a single traveller? It sounds like most people have had some rain while trekking but ponchos and plastic bags for camera equip. are taken. I would like to go when the weather is most comfortable and Rwanda sounds like it has a less humid climate. Also want to add on another country, pref. Zambia or Zimbabwe.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Yes I've gone alone and it worked well. I've had a private guide in Rwanda for the whole trip. I've had a group formed around my itinerary in Uganda, that included more than just gorillas, and that worked well. I've joined a group trip in Uganda and was one of five participants.

I've done Zimbabwe and Uganda together. I lost just one day flying from Zim to Entebbe and overnighting there.

Comfortable weather in Rwanda for me was late June, early July. It is dry June-Aug with July having the least rain, traditionally.

Go for it!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Would you mind if I emailed you with a couple of questions?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:31 AM

moremiles are you working around the college callendar because you are a student?

if so, i would (as i have written before) try to join up with a group organized by one of the backpacker lodges in uganda. it'll be cheaper and you'll be with other students.

it will be further travel distances though.

if you're already an adult, please disregard above.
kerikeri
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kerikeri but no, I'm not the student, my son is. I'd like to be home when he's home so am thinking about taking this trip during the school year. Definitely not into backpacking anymore but don't need luxury either.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 12:40 PM

I also went solo, to both Rwanda and Uganda. What are your concerns?
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 02:10 PM

Certainly email me if you'd like MoreMiles.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

My concerns are mostly logistical-most comfortable time of year to go during the school year and trying to book an add on safari and possibly dive trip in Mozambique. I know I have to figure this out soon for a 2008 trip because of the permits.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:54 PM

If you are going when school is in session, how about late August into Sept?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

That sounds like a possibility-just seems so far away! I'd like to avoid as much heat/humidity as possible though. I did send you an email also. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 05:29 PM

Rwanda is incredible! It is hard to explain all the magic but you have to go. I just got back (Dec 2006) from a week in Rwanda and Unganda with Volcanoes Safaris. It was a bit pricey but what an experience. As a solo traveler a driver would sure make the trip a bit smoother. The Gorillas Nest is a larger lodge and it might be easier to meet other travelers if you stay there. However, Volcanoes Safaris has lodges in both Rwanda and Uganda which would be handy if you want to visit both. I believe that January/February are supposed to be a good time of year but this December was rainer than most through East Africa. Feel free to email me directly is you have questions. But go! You must see Rwanda and the gorillas!