Snakes in

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
Snakes in

I'm going to Botswana with a school (college) group in May and we'll have one (or maybe two) nights at Mowana Safari Lodge in Chobe. We're doing either a boating excursion or a game drive (or maybe both depending on time). I have a major snake phobia (I mentioned this in an earlier thread about spiders!), and am wondering if it is a lot more likely to see snakes on the boating excursion. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Karen
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Oops. Sorry. Posted before finishing the title!
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
althom1122,

I think it would be less likely to see snakes from a boat. I never have and rarely have seen snakes on land.

Not to concern you, but I have seen water monitors from a boat (and from shore) and they can look like snakes in the water. Any wildlife in the water will want to stay there and swim quickly away from any boats.

Would sitting in the center of the boat, not near the edge, add a comfort factor?

The Chobe River "cruise" is a spectacular opportunity to view wildlife from hippos to elephants to other animals along the shore. You'll have a great time.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 05:21 PM

I am absolutely freaked out by snakes. On safari, I make my husband check our tent or room before we go to bed. He even makes fun of me because I get nervous putting my feet down in the land rover (just in case a snake was on the floor - I realize this is ridiculous, but fear isn't rational). I've spent about 5 weeks on safari and never seen a snake. We've done numerous boating activities as well. Granted, we went in August & September, but still no snakes. Don't worry, if I can get past my fear, any one can!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, atravelynn and travelwmn. Anyone have experience with the May time-frame. I know it's getting slightly cooler, so I'm hoping that will decrease likelihood of sightings. I'm surprised about the boat - I was really nervous about it because I was afraid there might be a lot of snakes in the water. Yes, sitting in the center of the boat might help. If it's canoes, though, I might freak out!
Old Apr 12th, 2005, 03:34 AM

Wouldn't the snakes eat all the spiders? Or both of them eat all the other creepy bugs?

Old Apr 12th, 2005, 06:26 AM

Gail, what a comforting, circle-of-life thought.

The type of boat to be used on the Chobe could be found out in advance. I do not recall canoes on the Chobe. Canoeing is quite common elsehwere, such as the Zambezi.