Sleepwear for Tanzania in early Sept.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What can we expect the nighttime temperatures to be in Tanzania in early September? We have polartec fleece jackets to wear during our waking hours, but aren't sure as to what we should plan for sleeping. Is it chilly, warm, hot? We will be in Tarangire NP, Ngorongoro, and the Serengeti (northwest).
Old Mar 21st, 2006, 04:20 AM
sandi

September would be considered Winter in East Africa, so you can expect chilly to cold temps. While daytime temps will likely been in the high 60s, even into the 70s, the mornings and nights can drop to the 40s (maybe even high-30s).

Layers are ideal in the morning which you'll peep off as the day goes on (by 10am - 11am). And you should consider layers when you go out on your late afternoon into night game drives.

Night sleeping attire though is a very personal thing. Some choose thermals, sweats, regular PJs, others are fine with just a t-shirt and some sleep without anything. Socks can be a good idea.

We, have always found extra blankets available, if needed - we've never needed. Some camps/lodges provide fluffy bathrooms which are great if you have to make a middle of the night loo visit.

And because of the cold mornings and nights, it's a good idea during game drives at these hours, especially, in open vehicles to wear socks, layers, have a scarf, maybe a hat, and gloves. The wind can pick up quite a bit when you haul off across the plains. Many camps provide blankets in their safari vehicles, but this isn't always the case with lodges. So be prepared with what will work to keep you comfy.

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 06:30 AM
sandi

... that should read fluffy "bathrobes"

Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sandi,

Thanks for your response. You've answered my question perfectly. I didn't know what to expect and didn't want to be freezing at night, or on the other hand, take a pj's that would keep us miserably hot!!
I must admit to being a wee bit disappointed to discover on your second post that it is fluffy bathrobes, I was looking forward to the latter!! I guess we'll just have to suffer and endure warm cozy robes should we be lucky enough to have them provided!

Cheers.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:47 PM
sandi

... it would be "fussy" bathrooms at the Crater Lodge.