Search

Singita report link

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Singita report link

A Flyertalker has just posted a thread covering three Singita properties. Wow. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=567723
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:36 AM
aby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gardyloo

Thanx
i didn't know they r 3/5 of best in Africa.
Anyhow, as i stated in a different thread, maybe in my next Incarnation

aby
PS on second thought i might save enough in the years to come to celebrate my 60th birthday there
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:40 AM

Now that's a trip I'd love to take...I could have done Ebony and Sweni, but passed on favour of trying Mala Mala instead. Hopefully the game-viewing at MM will be good enough to cushion the blow!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM

A wonderful detailed report bringing back fond memories. I'm assuming this report is coming in sections as I was only able to view Section 1. I hope this is the case and not a computer glitch.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>A wonderful detailed report bringing back fond memories. I'm assuming this report is coming in sections as I was only able to view Section 1. I hope this is the case and not a computer glitch.</i>

No glitch. Unlike SOME boards FT allows one to edit and expand on prior threads, so the OP on that one has &quot;reserved&quot; several threads below the first so that he can add additional text at the top, rather than forcing readers to scroll down to find the succeeding posts.

Actually the pictures raise (again) in my mind the issue of luxury becoming too luxurious. Touchy subject I know, but do places like this push the envelope on ostentatious tourism? Not trying to get all moralistic or overly philosophical here, but it made me pause.
Old Jun 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM

For the kind of money you pay for Singita, they had better have a petting zoo. Where I can hold lion and leopard cubs, bottle feed a baby elephant, and ride a rhino. And of course have my picture taken doing all of this.
regards - tom
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 07:11 AM

Tom, Thank you for giving me a wonderful morning laugh. What you're saying isn't far from the truth. Due to my culinary profession, I have had the opportunity to visit some of the finest hotels/restaurants in the world. I must say that several in South Africa (including Singita properties) do rank at the very top of where I've visited. Singita has been ranked #1 for some time now but in all fairness there are others that now may outrank Singita but haven't received the notoriety. They aren't the only show in town anymore. On my most recent trip in April/May I had the pleasure of staying at a lodge for the first time in Madikwe called Mateya. All I can say is WOW....It hasn't received the press that Singita has captured over the years but from the 3 days I was there, I'd rank it higher in terms of accommodations and cuisine and equal to Singita in game viewing and overall service. I'm hoping that with the influx of other luxury properties (or maybe this is just in my dreams) Singita will have enough competition to lower their prices. Singita prices are outrageous, but they seem to run full most all the times so have not had the need to be competitive...yet.