Simons Town SA

Nov 29th, 2000, 11:51 AM
Sue

Simons Town SA

Hi

I'm currently planning a trip to mauritius and SA next December (4+ weeks).

I am considering flying from Mauritius to Port Elizabeth and then driving down to CPT.

Qu No 1. How long does it take to drive along the garden route and do you have any suggestions of good places to stop, stay and visit along the way. (I love elephants so will be going to Addo? elephant park)

Qu 2. Has any one stayed at either the whalebay or boulder beach guest house near simons town?

Qu 3. would I be better staying in the middle of CPT or staying say at the above.

Qu 4. If you had three weeks how long would you stay in each place along the garden route and in CPT area itself?

I have been to CPT before about 10 years ago but we stayed with a family who took us everywhere so I dont how easy it is to get around.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Woody
UK

Dec 1st, 2000, 09:14 AM
USFlyer

Sounds like a good trip. We did the Garden Route from CT-PE in two days. We drove straight from CT-Oudtshoorn which took about four hours, stayed the night at the Eight Bells Mountain Lodge which is beautiful. We then did various things in Oudtshoorn for the day-went to an ostrich farm, the cango caves (not worth it) and the crocodile park before driving down to the coast at Wilderness for one night. The next day we drove through to PE, stopping for lunch at Plettenberg Bay.
I would probably recommend staying in the center of CT. The Boulders Area is pretty, but about an hour from the city. I'd try and spend as much time in the Cape Town area as possible. Its a beautiful city.

Dec 3rd, 2000, 02:26 AM
james wyatt

I did this trip last year - the garden route needs a week. Take time to stop in the winelands - Franchheok is very pretty. simonstown is ok for a night, but b

Dec 6th, 2000, 05:58 PM
John

Just got back from SA last week. The Garden Route is a loooong drive if you only do it in a couple of days, but a week may be too long. Stayed in Knysna at the Phantom Forest which was great.I would definately stay in the city proper. We stayed at the Penisula.Avoid the Commodore at all costs (pricey and generic).

Feb 10th, 2001, 05:02 AM
EDWIN GILHAM

The Garden Route is 600 miles long - although you can do it in 2 days - what's the point. You might as well stay at home and not be exhausted.
For pointers you can take a look at my website www.railcruisesa.co.za and look at the Port Elizabeth - Garden Route Tour. It has many suggestions and cross links to sites which will give you additional ideas. Don't forget about Grahamstown near PE. It's quite charming if you'r into old buildings.
LYNX THROUGH AFRICA is a operator that can help you with Addo
+27 (0)82-652-0798 - Fiona Masterson

Feb 17th, 2001, 01:49 PM
lisa

Much better to stay in Cape Town itself. Simonstown is far out and while worth a visit to see the penguins at Boulders Beach or as part of a drive around the peninsula, there is not much else.You will be about 1/2 hour's drive from Cape Town. Staying at the Waterfront Hotels is expensive but convenient.Other areas which are closer and beautiful are (in order of distance to the Waterfront)Three Anchor Bay, Greenpoint, Bantry Bay, Clifton and Camps Bay. Sea Point used to be really popular years ago, but parts of it are getting seedy and you have to exercise caution. December is peak holiday time in the Cape and it can get expensive and crowded, but it is still "do-able". The WaterFront is the part of the old Harbor area which has many tourist attractions, hotels, restuarants,a mall, aquarium and tons of activity.

Search this Thread