Should we be worried? (Driver)

Oct 11th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Should we be worried? (Driver)

Warmest hellos to you. We are currently on our Morrocan adventure and we wondering if our guides driving habits are the 'norm' or if perhaps we are at risk.
Now I do realize that here is NOTHING like home, but we have these moments where we wonder if we will make it in one piece. Trying hard not to judge too harshly as there is no way in hell I would even consider getting behind the wheel, but I don't know how to go about voicing our concerns. We are three passengers with the one driver/guide. Citiy driving is better as the speed is not life threatening. It seems to be more about the distracted driving while on highways or winding roads.

Thoughts?
Oct 11th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Assuming you have a common language I see no problem at all cheerfully requesting he slow down. I've asked on occasion and never felt it was received badly, all in the presentation. Ask kindly and I'm sure he'll comply. A gentle reminder if he later "forgets." He works for you and I'm sure will remember who pays his tips.
Oct 15th, 2018, 12:04 AM

His driving might be 'the norm' when he's in a car by himself, but he needs to focus 100% on safety when he has passengers. My wife is always telling taxi drivers to slow down no matter which country we are in.

I much prefer to drive myself in Morocco. I also like to get off the main N(ational) roads and instead use the quieter R(egional) and P(rovincial) roads.
Oct 17th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanking you both

For your response.
I am returning to pull back a bit on my judgement of our driver. Hes turned out to be capable and is taking care of us. His cell usage has stopped and we are much more comfortable.
Perhaps it was just the shock of it all with being in such a different place.

Thanks again for weighing in
Oct 18th, 2018, 12:16 PM

Maybe your driver reads Fodor’s forums.
Oct 24th, 2018, 11:12 AM

Hah driving in many foreign countries is quite different than what we're used to at home. My experience is that often times the drivers' behaviour is really driven (pun intended) by showing off how good his (I am assuming it's a he) driving skills really are by getting his guests faster to their destination than anyone else. If you pay a bit of a tip in advance, assure him he's doing a great job, but even better when being a bit more calm, I expect you'll be fine.