Sharm El Sheikh: what to see?

Old Jan 6th, 2020, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Sharm El Sheikh: what to see?

My company pays us a trip to Egypt. But, unfortunately, this is not Cairo with the pyramids and sphinxes. We are going to Sharm El Sheikh. But I still want to see the sights of Egypt. I found the old market and Soho Square. What else would you recommend to see in this city? Very interested in historical places and monuments, some fascinating excursions.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 04:48 PM

The main attraction, as I understand it, is beach. However, because there are direct flights from the UK when sometimes there aren't to Luxor, some people travel to Luxor from Sharm. So if you're interested in antiquities, temples & tombs, classic Egypt sightseeing, take a bus or taxi from there to Luxor.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by DominicWein View Post
But I still want to see the sights of Egypt.
Hate to break it to you, but the Sinai isn't in any way "Egypt" in the way you're likely thinking of "Egypt." The main thing in Sharm is beaches. And the only notable historical sight anywhere where near Sharm is St Catherine's Monastery and the (most likely incorrect) site of Mt. Sinai. It's a 2.5 hour drive each way, and can be done as a long day trip.

Or better yet, if you have 1.5 days, it can be done as an overnight trip where you climb "Mt. Sinai" overnight, in time for the sunrise. It's an easy hike (just a lot of stairs) and plenty of people who were in bad shape made it up. The views and the experience were spectacular.

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
The main attraction, as I understand it, is beach. However, because there are direct flights from the UK when sometimes there aren't to Luxor, some people travel to Luxor from Sharm. So if you're interested in antiquities, temples & tombs, classic Egypt sightseeing, take a bus or taxi from there to Luxor.
Wait what? A bus or taxi from Sharm to Luxor? Did I miss that the Red Sea parted again? ;-) It's either flight or ferry from Sharm to Luxor. And that would require several days that OP may or may not have, in order to make it worth OP's while.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 11:21 PM

Beaches and scuba diving is what Sharm stands for. The 'city' of Sharm is dirty and there's absolutely nothing to see in terms of monuments.
Yes, you can buy a bus tour to Luxor from one of the touroperators in the hotels. Notice that it's a pretty long drive: 7 hours one-way! I remember that buses left at 4 am and returned at 1 am .. a looooong day!
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by MmePerdu View Post
..... However, because there are direct flights from the UK when sometimes there aren't to Luxor, some people travel to Luxor from Sharm.
There are direct flights from UK to Luxor, but direct flights from UK to Sharm were suspended from 2015. Those restrictions have now been lifted as of last Oct/Nov but so far AFAIK only 1 charter seems to be operating from UK to Sharm, I'm sure that will change & regular services will resume. I went a few years back before the flight ban.

Old Jan 7th, 2020, 10:32 AM

DominicWein, you'll be more likely to have your question answered on the Trip Advisor Sharm forum as there's an active community of Egypt regulars over there.

See here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForu...and_Sinai.html
Old Jan 31st, 2020, 08:25 AM

The most important thing in Sharm El Sheikh is the red sea! Coral and fish is fantastic! You can also go on an excursion to the pyramids