Search

Question for Photographers

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Photographers

Hi y'all,

Has anyone taken one of the photography seminars from National Geographic Traveler? One is being given in my city and I'd appreciate any feedback before spending $195.

Here's a link: http://ngtravelerseminars.com/photo.cfm

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 02:29 PM

No I haven't -but- I really like the course outline/description. And the cost doesn't seem unreasonable. If you take it, let us know how you liked it.

regards - tom
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM

That outline looks great but it strikes me that it's alot to cover in a single day, especially when some of those hours will be taken up by introductions and settling in and goodbyes and so on.
I think for me, at that price, I'd want to know how many participants are accepted onto each course, is it a low enough number that it can have a discussion-group feel or a large enough number that it's more like the one-way communication of a lecture? Both can work but I'd pay more for the former than the latter.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Kavey, good questions to ask! Thanks!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM

I got to watch one of these in Santa Fe once, given by the editor of National Geo Traveler. There are a lot of people in the room so it's more like a lecture than a class as the speaker covers many topics, showing a lot of excellent photos and telling you how he/she got them. You can ask questions but can't really interact one-on-one.

I know two of the instructors pretty well, Eddie Soloway and Ralph Hopkins. I've photographed with Ralph in four states and always enjoy his company. He is the main photo tour leader for Lindblad. Both Ralph and Eddie are really nice guys and excellent photographers and you'll no doubt enjoy spending a day with them and learn a lot. Whether it's worth $195 or not is up to you

Bill