Serengeti in June

Jun 8th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Original Poster

Serengeti in June

We are thinking of a trip to Rwanda in late June 2014 followed by a few days in the Serengeti.  The plan is to fly to Serengeti from Kigale after the gorilla tracking and spend about five days at the Nomad Ubuntu west camp.  
What are the advantages, if any, in using the guide and vehicle provided by the camp as opposed bringing one from the outside?
If we have five nights in Serengeti, is it better to spend them all at Ubuntu west or would you recommend spending part of it in another camp.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Waxwing
Jun 9th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Correction: I meant to say nomad or ubuntu.
Jun 9th, 2013, 07:42 AM

The camp guides at both Nomads and (Asilia's) Ubuntu Camps are excellent. Most of the Nomads Camps, if they still do so, provide exclusive vehicle per tent (would still reverify if the same as seems at one of their camps this isn't the case). Staying at Ubuntu would be 'shared' game drives, though rarely more than 4/paxs (rather than 6/paxs).

If you wish 'own' guide throughout, you can arrange thru your tour operator, but will be paying for guide to drive empty from Arusha and then back, at 2/days each way (long distance and requires overnight somewhere for guide to sleep)... figuring about $225/day. And the same $225/day while staying at either camp.

With 5/days, I'd stay at the same camp, whichever you choose. The Western Corridor is small and the camps won't be that far from one another, and still be covering the same grounds for game drives.
Jun 9th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Sandi, for your insights. Right now we are leaning towards staying at ubuntu for five nights with their vehicle and guide.
Jun 9th, 2013, 04:52 PM

The western corridor especially the Grumeti area should be very good in June. If you like crocs, some of the largest crocs around are in the Grumeti river and June is the annual feast on the migrating Wilderbeest. I agree you should stay in one camp for the 5 days and use the camp vehicles. It's worth researching their best guide(s) and requesting them well in advance. Also if you can afford it, a private vehicle is very good to have especially if you are into photography.
Jun 10th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you AKR1 for your response.
We are very excited about this trip. We have seen the herds in Ndutu and in the Mara before but this is our first visit to the western corridor.
Nomad Serengeti camp confirmed what Sandi had written-private vehicle for each tent. I have not heard back from Ubuntu. I believe they may be a bit less expensive than Nomad. We will see.
Jun 11th, 2013, 01:29 PM

Nomads will be more expensive than Ubuntu.

Ubntu is shared game drives, but rarely more than 4/pax and if lucky, it might just be the two of you as many guests arrive with their own guides/vehicles having done a total 'driving' itinerary, only flying back to Arusha.

Search this Thread