Search

serengeti ballooning accomodations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
serengeti ballooning accomodations

HI
I have read the serengeti ballooning leaves from the Maasai Kopjes...but cannot seem to find these on a map.
Are they north or south of the Seronera airstrip? Is Mbuzi Mawe in the right area? I am concerned it is too north. the Serengeti Serena is booked the day we need to be there...any insights appreciated.

thanks
Nancie
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM

It's about an hour total drive (if I remember correctly) from the Serena. I think you're better off staying at the Wildlife Lodge or similar location.

I think you're right about Mbuzi Mawe being further north - I think it would take a while. One of the couples on our balloon ride came from there (and they had to leave pretty early).
Old Dec 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM

the balloons leave from the Seronera region, not too far from the airstrip. I wouldn't say at a lodge that is a 10 minute drive away, just to be a shorter drive to the balloon. Definitely stay where you want to stay, especially if the migration is in a different area, as the hot air balloon folks will come get you early in the morning. At 5:00am, there really isn't that much of a difference between a 10 minute drive and a 30 minute drive. I am not a fan of the Wildlife series of lodges, and giving up better accommodations in a different are of the park isn't worth it.

$.02

Your mileage may vary!

-Andy
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

thanks! we will stay at Mbuzi Mawe...we heard mixed things about teh Wildlife lodge so appreciate the insights! Can't wait for the balloon ride!

Nancie
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM

We will be staying in Mbuzi Mawe and are booked on the balloon ride. The balloon is quite ridiculously expensive but, heck... it is a long way back to do it again, and a long time (fate willing) to regret not doing it when we had the chance. From the map I think staying at MM could add an hour to the journey, which seems borne out by the other comments, because we have been told we will have a 4 am pickup. Which is somewhat distinctly worse than 5 am, but again, what the heck, there will be plenty of other times to sleep. I am trying to tell myself it is not an early start, it is a unique opportunity for night time drive in Serengeti. Which may be wishful thinking!

NB our agent assured me there was no need to book the balloon till we got there, but I insisted, and it appears we got the last 2 places (just booked for mid Feb). So if you do want to do it, I'd say definitely book in advance.

I have seen mixed reports about the ballooning, so I'm not trying not to build my expectations too high. Plus of course there is always the chance of cancellation due to weather. But I have done a balloon ride in the Australian desert and it remains one of my abiding memories. I'm hoping my husband (acquired since that previous balloon ride) will enjoy this experience as much as I did that one.
Old Dec 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM

Definitely book your balloon safaris in advance!!!!!!

here are some random photographs taken from a hot air balloon:

http://www.andybiggs.com/feb05/05022...ngeti_176.html

http://www.andybiggs.com/feb05/05022...ngeti_181.html

http://www.andybiggs.com/feb05/05022...ngeti_457.html

http://www.andybiggs.com/feb05/05022...ngeti_470.html

Old Dec 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM

Oh wow. What beautiful photos. Words fail me.
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 12:19 AM
aby

God !!
("you can simply call me Andy" - replied Andybiggs )
Those Acacias in that special lighting is certaily a huge wow.
my jaw dropped soon after i clicked the link, i'm still trying to fix it ...

aby

having such expectations, the rest of the 2005 pics were a wide margin away
Old Dec 20th, 2006, 04:49 AM

By the way, Mbuzi Mawe was definitely our favorite camp (and much much nicer than the Serengeti Serena). The tents are luxurious, the showers are hot, the staff was wonderful, the the night sounds were dramatic (lions roaring), the food was excellent, and we had an amazing walk around the camp where we actually saw a lioness and two cubs in the distance.