Search

Tongabezi or Muchenje

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 09:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tongabezi or Muchenje

Has anyone stayed at the Tongabezi in Zambia (Livingstone)? It looks great from the pictures and marketing ads. I would like to get some input from someone that actually stayed there. I am also considering Muchenje (Chobe, Botswana). Feedback from people that have stayed in either is most appreciated!
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 11:49 PM

Jetsetter,
My husband and I stayed at Tongabezi a couple of years ago on our honeymoon....in fact we chose it because as friend who stayed there on her honeymoon recommended it so highly.

We loved Tongabezi...it's right on the Zambezi...you can visit the Falls, canoe to a private island where they'll set up a three course lunch. In the evening I'd recommend you opt to eat on the floating deck, out in the river, where they bring each course out to you by canoe.

Our room was the furthest down at the very end... gorgeous with a hugh tub overlooking the river. The decor was just redone and very modern/safari/african. The staff were great especially the Zimbabwean manager who unusually in the safari trade was a black rather than white African.
I haven't stayed at the other camp you mentioned so I'm not familiar with it...However, Tongabezi is not a substitute for a safari camp we combined Tongabezi with several other camps in Zambia which was wonderful and I'd particularly recommend their sister camp Sausage Tree in the Lower Zambezi valley.
Hope that helps!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks welltraveledbrit! I was also wondering if one night there is enough. I would imagine that you need at least two nights to get the most out of the experience.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:17 AM

Jetsetter,
I definately think you need two nights there which will give you one day for the activities, and two sets of sundowners one at their second island camp...I think we spent two nights...saw the Falls on the way over from Zimbabaw and the flew out to the next camp in a tiny plane "buzzing" the Falls on the way out...magnificent!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:14 AM

welltraveledbrit - what time of year did you stay @ Tongabezi? Can you remember what room type you stayed in?
We have had an itenery put together with a Treehouse in November at the end of Botswana safaris.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:55 PM

I remember when we were there because it was on our honeymoon too! It was right at the end of October and we were trying to get our safari time in before the rains arrived. It's really the end of the season and it often begins to rain as you go into Novemeber.

However it can be fabulous to be there in the rain...I grew up in West Africa and you'll never forget the smell of the earth that come up with the first rains.

The room we stayed in was the Dog House, it really was lovely - however it's right down on the river bank and completely open which can be a little disconcerting. I woke up at night and there were hippos on the bank mowing down the grass! The Tree House looks lovely and I think you'll enjoy the vista.

We really enjoyed Tongabezi it's such a small low key property and they really spoil you. We LOVED the dinner out on a pontoon in the Zambezi as wells as sundowners on the island.

Hope that helps!