Selwyn please help

Jul 29th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Selwyn please help

Hello. I will be travelling to SA in August and have 3 questions.

First, my children (13, 10, 7) would like to visit an ostrich farm in Oudtshoorn. Any recommendations?

Second, do you think the Cango Caves are worth a stop? We will be based in Knysna.

Finally, I'd love to spend a morning or afternoon visiting a vineyard in or near Cape Town but my husband's concerned that the children either wouldn't be welcome or wouldn't find it interesting. They're a bit older so we wouldn't need playgrounds but would want an interesting tour about winemaking etc., that's welcoming to children. Would any of the vineyards in Constantia fit the bill or would you recommend Stellenbosch or Paarl?

Thanks so much.

Jul 29th, 2007, 08:33 AM

I'm not Selwyn, but I'll answer on the Cango Caves - if you're in Oudtshoorn anyway and have time, they are a nice addition to your itinerary. We've been to such natural caves before but still enjoyed our visit - the stalactite and stalagmite formations are incredible. We opted for the standard visit to easily accessible areas but there's also an adventure visit involving shimmying along pot-holer tunnels to access hidden away chambers. Not for the claustrophobic!

Jul 29th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey. This is very helpful.
Jul 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM

dandyliondc,

If I were you I would stay at Mooiplaas guesthouse when you visit Oudtshoorn. http://www.mooiplaasguesthouse.co.za/ The reasoning behind this is that Mooiplaas is real working ostrich farm and you will find that your children will be sleeping about 50 yards away from the ostrich pens. On the morning of your stay, straight after breakfast (which is a unique experience on its own) either Viljee Keller or Koos, the guesthouse manager will take you and your family onto the ostrich farm and tell you all about the ostriches. Your children will be able to hold an ostrich egg in their hand and while still holding the egg a newborn ostrich will pop out of the shell. Believe me this is the real thing and an amazing experience. Furthermore the journey that Koos or Viljee will take you on is not open to the public and is not a touristy experience like all the ostrich farms are in Oudtshoorn.

If you have seen caves in your life I am not to sure if it is worth the journey but then the third sector of the caves which is called the “adventure leg” would be quite exciting for your kids. My suggestion is go to the caves if you want them to do the adventure journey however with that said I would not recommend that you and your husband do the adventure journey as the tunnels are narrow. You need not have to worry as the guides will care 100% for your kids as they do the adventure which I can assure you they will never forget. If you are not going to do the adventure sector then I would not recommend the journey.

While in Oudtshoorn what I would recommend highly is the to go out with the meerkat man. This is one of the latest adventures one can do in Oudtshoorn and is a fabulous experience overall. http://www.meerkatmagic.com/index.php

I cant think of any winefarms that do tours that children will enjoy. I also do not know of any farms that have some sort of entertainment program for children to keep them occupied while there parents tour the far, Overall I do not advocate that you take your children to a winefarm as they will more than likely become very bored. So it becomes a case of try and find something else that is supervised for the kids to do while mom and dad go to a winefarm or else leave winefarms out of the touring equation. Sorry about this response but that’s the best way to go about matters when it comes to children and winefarms

Hope this helps make your stay in SA an enjoyable event.

If I were you I would stay at Mooiplaas guesthouse when you visit Oudtshoorn. http://www.mooiplaasguesthouse.co.za/ The reasoning behind this is that Mooiplaas is real working ostrich farm and you will find that your children will be sleeping about 50 yards away from the ostrich pens. On the morning of your stay, straight after breakfast (which is a unique experience on its own) either Viljee Keller or Koos, the guesthouse manager will take you and your family onto the ostrich farm and tell you all about the ostriches. Your children will be able to hold an ostrich egg in their hand and while still holding the egg a newborn ostrich will pop out of the shell. Believe me this is the real thing and an amazing experience. Furthermore the journey that Koos or Viljee will take you on is not open to the public and is not a touristy experience like all the ostrich farms are in Oudtshoorn.

If you have seen caves in your life I am not to sure if it is worth the journey but then the third sector of the caves which is called the “adventure leg” would be quite exciting for your kids. My suggestion is go to the caves if you want them to do the adventure journey however with that said I would not recommend that you and your husband do the adventure journey as the tunnels are narrow. You need not have to worry as the guides will care 100% for your kids as they do the adventure which I can assure you they will never forget. If you are not going to do the adventure sector then I would not recommend the journey.

While in Oudtshoorn what I would recommend highly is the to go out with the meerkat man. This is one of the latest adventures one can do in Oudtshoorn and is a fabulous experience overall. http://www.meerkatmagic.com/index.php

I cant think of any winefarms that do tours that children will enjoy. I also do not know of any farms that have some sort of entertainment program for children to keep them occupied while there parents tour the far, Overall I do not advocate that you take your children to a winefarm as they will more than likely become very bored. So it becomes a case of try and find something else that is supervised for the kids to do while mom and dad go to a winefarm or else leave winefarms out of the touring equation. Sorry about this response but that’s the best way to go about matters when it comes to children and winefarms

I cant think of any winefarms that do tours that children will enjoy. I also do not know of any farms that have some sort of entertainment program for children to keep them occupied while there parents tour the far, Overall I do not advocate that you take your children to a winefarm as they will more than likely become very bored. So it becomes a case of try and find something else that is supervised for the kids to do while mom and dad go to a winefarm or else leave winefarms out of the touring equation. Sorry about this response but that’s the best way to go about matters when it comes to children and winefarms.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Jul 29th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Selwyn, thanks for all the good advice. We'll definitely check out the meerkat man. I don't think we can stay at Mooiplaas since we're booked at Knysna and probably can't change accommodations. Thanks again.
Jul 29th, 2007, 02:24 PM

dandyliondc

Pity that you cant stay at Mooiplaas. Seeing that this is the case your best bet would be to either go to Highgate Ostrich farm http://www.highgate.co.za/ or Safari ostrich farm http://www.safariostrich.co.za/ and do their tour that they generally have on the hour. Ypur children will also be able to ride ostriches on these farms.

If you are going to see the meerkats you will have to have this journey take priority and then fit the ostrich farm around the meerkat experience. I say this because there are lots of ifs and buts with the meerkat journey revolving around sunrise , sunset, the weather, whether they find the merkats etc.

Hope this helps

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa