Selous Game Reserve Fee Increase

Aug 9th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Selous Game Reserve Fee Increase

Hello,

The entry fees for Selous have risen from $30 per day (adults) / $5 per day (children) to $50 /day (adults) / $30 per day (children). An additional conservation fee of $25 per day has also been introduced on top of the current concession fee.

Although the announcement was made on 31 July the changes are retroactively effective from 1 July (!!!).

Several of the companies which have camps in Selous have requested a legal opinion on this matter as it's obviously not a way to encourage people to visit some of Tanzania's least visited parks. If you're travelling to Selous, you may want to contact your agent and see how your camps are handling the fee increase.

Cheers,
Julian
Aug 9th, 2007, 07:15 PM

Thanks Julian, that's interesting information. I usually support park fee increases but the retroactive seems ridiculous. Also, that's quite a jump to go from $30 to $75 even if they call it two different things. I hope they have a good plan for the additional revenue, that is if they don't lose money by reducing numbers in an already less touristed area.
Aug 10th, 2007, 05:30 AM

Like Predator, I have no problem with fee increases, but when they make these changes in the middle of the season and retroactive no less, that's just not right and difficult to sell.

As to the additional conservation fee, many of the camps on private lands, already charge these along with the daily park fee... all vary, depending on which conservation area.

Last year, fortunately, we knew about increases before final payments were due so were able to advise clients in advance. But to ask for additional funds once they're in country is just not professional - it's cheesy!

Now, Kenya has been talking about increased park fees as 1st Jan '08, but who knows if this will take effect on that date. Right now, for '08 travel, prices are coming in at the current daily park fees. If they do implement the increase for beginning of '08, then here we go again... client's will have to be advised.

Why can't they use that so-called "grandfather clause" (thit-cho, help here)... where those who have already paid in full aren't affected; future clients will be.
Aug 11th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Its ridiculous and unwarranted, Tourism is thriving and should be encouraged not taken advantage of. I hear Ngorongoro Crater fees are going to rocket as well (as if they are not expensive enough). If all this money went back to conservation then I wouldn't have so much of a problem.
Aug 11th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Wildlife Department is responsible for wildlife conservation in all parts of Tanzania other than national parks and Ngorongoro Conservation Area. That's an huge network of Game Reserves and Game Management Areas, some in real remote areas. You shouldn't forget that we have a permanent and significant increase of fuel costs for some time now, with costs still rising. Maybe this is the main reason behind the fee increase.
Aug 12th, 2007, 12:41 AM

Dubaboy,

I've been at the crater, and to be honest: waaay to much vehicles. The place is just too popular. So I wholeheartedly agree with their price increases.
There's been a number of incidents the last year, like a baby rhino getting separated from it's mother by the jeeps, and then getting killed by lions (as a consequence the road between lake Magadi & Lerai forest is closed now).

There's also too much water consumption by people/lodges on the rim at this point. Saw a study about that. Can't remember where though.

They still have plenty of work, IMHO. But raising prices is a good first step.

Aug 12th, 2007, 03:12 AM

I hear what you are saying but the way to do it is not to raise the price so only the rich can afford it, how about a limit on the number of vehicles i.e. per safari company or alternatively the number of hours vehicles can spend in the crater.