Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving vs transfers, rafting/scheduling)

Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving vs transfers, rafting/scheduling)

Aug 25th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Seeking Victoria Falls advice (driving vs transfers, rafting/scheduling)

We are two people currently driving a Namibian car rental (with a permission to cross borders) through Caprivi toward Kasane and plan to spend two days/one night in Victoria Falls area on Aug 30-31, returning to Kasane. We haven't obtained any visas in advance and plan to get them at the borders. Besides just viewing the falls, we are hoping to do the following: bungee jump and/or gorge swing (probably one person doing each); Devil's pool; and maybe (big maybe) white water raft Zambezi. We read the guides and websites, but have a few questions:

- Considering the costs and the hassles and the amount of time it will take, is it better to park the car securely somewhere in Kasane and arrange for paid transportation into Victoria Falls and back, or to drive there across the border ourselves? Which border, Zambia or Zimbabwe?

- If we don't prebook anything, and just do it once we get there, is there going to be a problem with availability or significant waits or long queues for bungee jump, swing and Devil's pool?

- How safe is Zambezi white water rafting? I saw a rate of 60 deaths per year "mostly due to crocodiles", which is pretty huge, but other sources say crocodiles are "small" and are not a problem. Which rafting company is recommended? We are more interested in going on the type of boat where we don't paddle.

- Is it possible to do full day rafting trip and still make it back over the border to Kasane on a transfer on the same day? Is it possible to come from Kasane on day 1, see the falls and do a bungee jump and Devil's pool (afternoon) and book a rafting trip for day 2, then raft on day 2 and make it back to Kasane before the border closes for the night? Shearwater site says return to town is at 14:30, so it sounds like return to Kasane after that is totally possible.

Thank you very much!
Aug 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM

We were in Vic Falls last September and as the falls are at a lower level, people weere able to do just about anything they wanted when then wanted to do it. You will want to cross into Zimbabwai at least once to get the best views of the falls, but understand that Devil's Pool is on the Zambian side. As I recall the bungee jump is in the middle of the bridge, so I'm not sure which country that is considered. Wherever you stay, you may want to get a dual entry visa for Zim to be on the safe side. We stayed at Ilala Hotel in Vic Falls and loved it. I think their rates would be negotiable at this time of year, and the food is terrific. Younmay want to check Wild Horizons, as they seem to book for all the concessions, or if you do book a hotel ahead of arrival, asak them to take care of the activity bookings for you.
Aug 27th, 2013, 07:44 AM

Just wanted to add -- I don't think you will need to take your car into Zimbabwe if you are staying on the Zambia side at night, however, if you do want to stay on the Vic Falls side, the hotels all appeared to have convenient parking.
Aug 27th, 2013, 01:33 PM

Though a few years back, believe you need a multi-entry Visa for ZIM, on entering, then if leaving to ZAM and if returing to ZIM. Not too expensive for ZIM=multi, maybe $40. For ZAM, again if I recall... Visas required, but more expensive. Just check amounts for both and have sufficient funds.

Also check whether you'll require a Yellow Fever inoc for entry to either ZIM or ZAM and/or if/when returning to Namibia and/or South Africa having visited ZIM/ZAM... you don't want any surpises.
Aug 29th, 2013, 12:51 PM

One issue you might consider... When I was in Zimbabwe about 3 years ago, there were a lot of police checkpoints set up on the roads. If you don't speak the local language and know how much they want in bribes, you might have problems. My drivers were well versed in all of that, but we still had to get out of the vehicle once while they searched it. I kept a stranglehold on my camera bag and made it clear they weren't going to touch it.

Search this Thread