Search

Second Safari Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Second Safari Questions

Well the bug is in me and Im planning a second journey. Last Juy I went to Mala Mala (Rattrays) and Ulusabla (Rock) and had a wonderful time. I would like to do another July trip and am thinking about Tanzania especially seeing the Chimps and was considering Sernegti. Is July a good time to go to these locations? I am thinking about 3 days in Capetown and then a week in Tanzania. Will I be disappointed compared to my great viewing experiences in South Africa? Im not into "camping" and prefer luxury accomodations but am flexible for the right venue. Suggestions on lodges and timing in Tanzania would be most helpful. Thank you and Happy New Year.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:15 PM

With only a week in Tanzania, how about this?

http://www.chimpanzeesafaris.com/op-03.php

You'll have to plan the safari around the Mahale portion of the trip, as there are only certain days that they fly into and out of the park. Katavi would be a great park to combine with Mahale. It's large and uncrowded, with lots of wildlife. Both parks are considered to be in Western Tanzania. If you still wanted to go to the Serengeti in July, you might consider the Grumeti Reserve. It may have the Migration there at that time and is certainly luxurious.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 01:56 PM

July is good. With one week, the chimps, probably in Mahale and the Serengeti might not work. But the combo ShayTay suggested would be good.
Nomad is a respected outfitter for these parts.

http://www.nomad-tanzania.com/

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 02:37 PM

If you want chimps, then it's Mahale. But to inquire whether they've put into effect a daily fees/permit to visit the chimps; also if you are limited to the number of visits you can have.

There's been discussion about this, but I'm not certain whether these changes have been instituted.

Also, if you decide Mahale, it's a good idea to combine with Katavi. Both in Southwestern Tanzania. Other good stops in the south would be The Selous, the largest reserve in Africa.

For access to either area, I would suggest, especially if flying from JNB (even if via Europe) you fly into DAR (Dar-es-Salaam) rather than Kilimanjaro (JRO).

With only a week, while it is doable to visit the Chimps at Mahale and Western Serengeti (Grumeti Reserves an excellent idea), it's lots of flying, specific schedules and costly.

Old Jan 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Wow..Thanks for the quick responses. Maybe Ill skip CTOWN and do Katavi, Mahale (Greystone???) and the Selous as you have suggested. Now will need to put it together---any suggested order---I was thinking of ending the trip at Mahale...Thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM

GreystoKe -

If you choose both Mahale and Katavi, it's based on the flight schedules. Believe it's 3/days at Katavi and 4/days Mahale. Best to have your agent check the Nomad's schedules, as it's their flights/planes. However, the Nomad flights depart from northern Tanzania (Arusha), not from DAR. If only Mahale, and you want to visit Selous, you can arrange for a private flight at a cost$$$$$.
For the Selous, scheduled flights are to/from DAR.