Search

Travel agents commision

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2013, 03:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel agents commision

Does anyone know roughly how much luxury safari travel agents make to book a trip of roughly 10 nights? Can I get better rates trying to book everything myself with the hotels and air transfer companies? Some have said that the agents get better rates than the public but I doubt that cottars or Singita for example would not want to give me a better price instead of paying a commission to an agent??
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 09:58 AM

What agent are you considering using?
This might well determine what they are charging and probable commission.

And, NO - these properties unlikely want to work with client direct as they're cutting off those who would normally be selling their camps.

Also what is agent offering re transport between these specific properties, one each country - whether scheduled or charter fares... there are lots of ways to add to prices to clients. And the air carriers to either of these do not give discounts direct to clients.

By going direct to Cottars or Singita they will charge you the 'rack' rate (highest) vs what an agent who receives discounted prices and should forward some of these onto client.

Also, especially in East Africa, few agents receives direct commissions, but rather adds a $% on top of reduced prices offered, as both Cottar's and Singita do.

There is more than one way of costing for safaris.
Old Sep 19th, 2013, 09:38 PM

I've tried to figure this out for years. My conclusion is - depends, sometimes, maybe, probably, not likely.

regards - tom
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 08:23 PM

Bona fide Travel Agents/Tour Operators have contract rates with the hotels/lodges/suppliers, which are much lower than the rack/market rates.

The Travel Agents/Tour Operators only mark up on those contract rates and if they are smart, make sure that the final quote is lower than the rack/market rates.

The lodges/hotels/suppliers consider the travel agents/tour operators as regular clients and the direct travelers as one of, therefore giving the former better rates. T

This is often the case, from experience.