Samburu in am to Aursha by pm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible to be in Samburu in the morning and end up in Arusha that same night without your own private chartered aircraft?

Details appreciated! Thank you.

Old Nov 12th, 2005, 07:46 AM
sandi

You can fly on a scheduled Air Kenya flight from Samburu,departing 10:50am to NBO (Wilson Airport) arriving 12:15pm; from here you may just make the Air Kenya 12:30pm flight from Wilson to Arusha, arriving Kili/Arusha approx. 1:20pm.

If you cannot make this connection, you'd need a flight from NBO (JKIA airport) into Kilimanjaro. For the latter, it's best to check with your outfitter for schedule and prices.

The above schedule is based on 2005; may change for 2006 if that is when you are traveling... so do re-verify schedules.

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi,

By air that is cutting it way to close. I'll hang around airports for four hours rather than even risk a one hour window for connections.

Do you know if that bus/van that goes between Nairobi and Arusha could be used with a 12:15 arrival into Nairobi?

Is there a schedule or link for the ground transport option?

Thank you.
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Lynn,

Try www.riverside-shuttle.com - their afternoon shuttle from Nairobi to Arusha departs at 2:00pm.

I wonder though if Air Kenya will hold the Wilson-Kilimanjaro flight for inbound passengers from elsewhere that are slightly delayed since they know you're coming. It looks to me like they've scheduled the WIL-JRO flight specifically to allow passengers from the Samburu flight and the morning Mara flight the ability to connect same day. Anyone know their policy in a delay situation? sandi?

Air Kenya schedule -

http://www.airkenya.com/schedules.htm

Another option would be to fly Samburu-Wilson, take a taxi to NBO and fly from there to JRO on Precision Air which currently has a flight departing at 6:00pm - www.precisionairtz.com

When are you thinking of going?
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 01:57 PM

I’ve got the same impression as Patty. Air Kenya are flexible with departures and leave earlier if all passengers have arrived. They probably wait as well.
On their website you can read that: ”Connections are available on our scheduled flights to/from the Masai Mara, Samburu and Malindi.”
http://www.airkenya.com/ndegenews.htm
Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:44 PM
sandi

The Air Kenya flight waits for pax arriving on connecting flights from the Mara and Samburu. All arrive at Wilson - you get off one plane and onto the other - no changing terminals, bus connections, moving sidewalks, luggage carts - rather civilized for air travel, I'd say.

Same going the other way in the afternoon - coming from Arusha for a connecting flight to the Mara.

The bus is scheduled for a 2pm departure from downtown NBO, but rarely is that even on time and you may not get to Arusha before dark.

Flying is the best option unless cost is an issue.

Old Nov 13th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Patty,

Shouldn't you be on a plane or something? It is getting close to your departure.

When?--not for a while, and no specific date, just putting a future itinerary together and hoping to cut out a day in transit. Unlike Rocco, bless his soul, I don't post every itinerary that goes through my head, but I do appreciate the help.

Eventually I'd like to spend 3 days at the Elephant Camp in Samburu and 2 at some other camp in Samburu then do Southern Tanzania.

Thanks, I'll save the advice!