Search

safety in Nairobi, Kenya?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2002, 02:51 PM
ticketmeister1

safety in Nairobi, Kenya?

My female friend, a government worker, has the opportunity to go to Nairobi, Kenya to process refugees. She will be travelling with other government workers. Can anyone let me know whether she will be safe there? She will stand out as a foreigner and I am concerned. Also, is it safe to travel from Nairobi to the wildlife parks? How does the crime in Nairobi compare to a major city in the U.S. or Europe? Should she go on this trip or not? Thanks for your help.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Dave

My wife and I were in Nairobi last year. We did not feel safe in the city except that we were chaperoned by a driver or guide. She should go, but don't walk around alone on the streets. Traffic is also very dangerous. The cars weave in and out just missing the walkers, and everyone walks in the middle of the street.<BR><BR>Going from Nairobi to the parks entails getting to Wilson airport and getting on a plane. No problem there.

Old Mar 6th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Deb

Nairobi is fine IF you follow these cautions:<BR><BR>1. Always ride a taxi in the evenings; in other words don't walk the city streets after dark.<BR>2. Act confident.<BR>3. Don't flaunt your jewelry etc (in fact, I NEVER bring any jewelry except a cheap watch).<BR>4. As a womamn, walk in twos instead of by yourself.<BR><BR>In terms of crime, petty crime does exist (pickpockets, etc.). but I have never heard of major crimes against tourists and in fact, received a lot of sympathy from the Kenyan taxi drivers regarding Sept 11 (remember Nairobi suffered greatly due to the Amer. Embassy bombings).

Old Mar 10th, 2002, 04:14 PM
ticketmeister1

Thanks again.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 03:25 PM
buck

Was in Nairobi last March and one of the ladies from our group had her necklace snached from her waiting to get to an ATM. We were told not to wear anything gold and she did. Was a 16 or 17 year old kid. The people are very poor and many are just trying to put food on the table, all the Kenyans we encountered were friendly and polite. White people are targets because they know we are tourist and have money. Just be careful as you would in NY, LA, SF, Miami or any large american city and you will be fine, you can't forgo the experience of travel because of what might happen. We had a wonderful time in Kenya and would return in an NY minute. Have a wonderful time, Buck

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 05:09 PM
gary

travelling in nairobi is ok if your carefull, don't waltz around with your Nikon around your next just covering your $4000 necklace.<BR><BR>The wrong part of town is the wrong part of town anywhere in the world.<BR><BR>Remember the hotels want you to stay inside so you can shop at their shops!!<BR><BR>Kenyans are inherantly honest and the way people carry on about the dangers do them no favours<BR><BR>cheers<BR><BR>gary<BR><BR>http://www.balloonsafarisdirect.com