Safety in Egypt

Aug 7th, 2019, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Safety in Egypt

Thinking of canceling my trip into Cairo in November due to the recent car bombing. I was planning on all the tourist areas and sites but now seriously wondering if itís worth it. Maybe this country should be on my wait list and I need to plan somewhere else. Any thoughts?
Aug 7th, 2019, 04:27 PM

If you wait every time there's violence you may never go anywhere. The bomb was not at a tourist site but certainly up to you. But consider also avoiding Walmarts, nightclubs, schools, marathons, tall buildings, airplanes, New Zealand, . . . you get the drift.
Aug 9th, 2019, 03:13 PM

You can postpone your trip, but Egypt is not going to get safer. The underlying issues(population boom) of terrorism are only getting worse. It is wise decision however to postpone your trip if you're scared. Travelling is not much fun if you don't feel relaxed. Wait until you have more courage, I think Egypt is absolutely worth the risk if you don't have children yet or they are already grown up.
Aug 9th, 2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
You can postpone your trip, but Egypt is not going to get safer. The underlying issues(population boom) of terrorism are only getting worse. It is wise decision however to postpone your trip if you're scared. Travelling is not much fun if you don't feel relaxed. Wait until you have more courage, I think Egypt is absolutely worth the risk if you don't have children yet or they are already grown up.
I agree with the point about postponing if you won't enjoy yourself. But having enjoyed Egypt without the crowds myself, I'd encourage you to consider the odds especially if you'll be traveling on your own as I was. We really aren't very satisfying targets. I also believe that it's about as safe in Egypt as anywhere. And you might look at it this way, the longer you wait the closer you are to the next one. From that point of view, now is the safest time. Think about it.