safety

Feb 7th, 2002, 08:13 AM
Danielle

safety

Hi, I am very interested in a SA travel but I am really wondering if it is safe enough to travel for a couple or should we consider a group travel. Thank your for your answers

Feb 16th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Nessa

Hi Danielle,
I'm going with relaties in March and we used "Experience Africa" with Premier Tours. They are very experienced in arranging tours. They are located in Philadelphia PA (I'm in VA, one of us is in NYNY and on in Philly.) Try 215-893-9966 and ask for Marilyn Ridpath. Also check them out on the web: premiertours.com. So far I've been very impressed on their work and professionalism. We're doing South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana. I have no idea if $3085. is a good price for 16 days, all air fares and transfers, game viewing and some meals. But I'm going, all the same! (It's my college graduation gift to myself!)

Feb 17th, 2002, 03:05 AM
xxxxxx

No advertising here Nessa. Danielle asked about safety.

Feb 17th, 2002, 09:45 AM
Celia

After numerous trips to South Africa over the last 20 years, I think it is safe for a couple to travel there on their own. Although there have been a couple of criminal attacks on tourists there, they've been of the sort that are very unlikely to happen to a reasonably careful tourist. The serious violence in that country consists of burglaries of residences, murder and mayhem between rival gangs, and car jackings of expensive cars which can be sold over the border. These aren't likely to affect tourists. World news organizations seem to play up South African violence more than violence in other places such as Zimbabwe. I don't know why -- it may be simply because there are more newsmen in SA than in other African countries.

My husband and I lived in SA for a short while, and we return as tourists every couple of years. Our last visit was in 1999, and nothing happened to cause us saftey worries. We're planning on going again late this year.

The tourism industry is well established in SA, and if you choose a group tour, you'll have no trouble finding one that suits you.

Whichever you decide, have a great time!

Feb 17th, 2002, 03:30 PM
tutu

I am in SA every couple of years to visit with family. The country does have a high crime rate but it is possible to travel around in relative safety. Be vigilant and take precautions as you would in any other country with great disparities in wealth such as Brazil, etc. If you are a nervous or inexperienced traveller, then I would suggest joining a tour group. If not, consider working with a tour guide to set up an independent itinerary geared to your interests or just do your research and make your own bookings. The South African tourist industry is extremely well developed in terms of tourist services. Check out their many websites. Happy travelling.

Feb 18th, 2002, 05:51 AM
Dawn Craig

It is my first trip to Israel this jan. 2003 and what should i do to prepare for it? have you been to tele viv or know of someone who has? any tips or safety concerns.

Search this Thread