Search

Safari operator

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari operator

Hello all,

We are planning a one week Safari In Tanzania in Oct 2007, using lodge accommodation. At the moment I have doubts on which safari operator I should choose.

Sunny and Roy are the companies I have in mind. I read very good reviews about both of them, specially for Roy, but there is also a price difference of about 250 USD per person (Roy is more expensive).

Is there any reasons for such a difference? I guess this is coming from the quality of vehicles and guides...

Thanks beforehand for your help

Oli
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 03:22 AM

I don't know about quality of guides. Roy and Sunny are both big companies so it's impossible to say that you will get a better guide with either one.

Quality of vehicles - Sunny owns a workshop and has a variety of vehicles. IMO (and I see both companies all the time), the Sunny vehicles are some of the better ones out there. To be sure, just tell them you want a newer one!
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 09:43 AM

My comment is a bit gossipy but here goes anyway.

One person told me directly, not on this forum, that a Sunny guide they had was not very motivated in finding game. The complaint was not that insufficient game was seen on the safari, but that the guide was a bit lazy.

I've never heard one negative comment about any of Roy's trips or guides.

I'd mention to the operator that you plan to post a report on Fodors and that an excellent guide is your #1 priority. Maybe you could get a recommendation on a Sunny guide. I don't have the name of the guide that was not so good.
Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
sandi

It's rare to get the exact same price from two outfitters. The difference may have to do with the actual contracts each company has with each or a group of properties (lodges/camps). It may have to do with the salary paid the guide/driver. Who knows. But $250 isn't all that much, unless you're working with a very tight budget.

If you check Roy's website, you will find details as to the vehicles they provide - Range Rovers or Landcruisers. Roys also has a major machanical operation in/around Moshi to store and keep their vehicles is good operating order. Vehicles are relatively new, few more than 3/yrs. and most guides have been in Roy's employ for years (apparently quite satisfied).

Like lynn, don't recall any negative reports about Roy's guides.

Old Feb 25th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Hello all,

First of all I would like to thank you for replying. I am aware that 250 USD per person is not such a big difference and I will be glad to pay for it if this is reflected in the quality of our tour. Things are a little bit more clear to me now. I am now waiting for a response from Roy, which has been a little bit more slow in responding to my e-mails so far.
I will let you know about my final decission.
If anybody else can give more information, it will be very welcome.
Thanks
Olatz
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 03:35 AM

$250 pp is peanuts, in the scheme of things.

If you want a email for Roy in Tanzania, just post. All emails have been answered within 24 hours, when corresponding with them.

Good luck with whomever you choose.
Old Feb 26th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi again,

I am afraid that this is not the case this time. I sent them one e-mail last Saturday, another reminder yesterday and still got no response...

I will keep trying anyway...

Oli
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Are you sending to Susan in the US?

If so, then send to the other Susan, directly in Tanzania. As stated above, never waited more than 24 hours for a response and probably emailed her 100's of times.

RoySafaris at intafrica dot com

Good luck.
Old Feb 27th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Hello again,

I received one e-mail from Roy this morning. Apparently they have been experiencing problems with their server. They are working on my request now, I hope they will get back to me soon.

I have not contacted Susan in the US. I am writing from Spain, and dealing with Roy in Arusha directly.

Thanks for everything. I will keep you updated on our trip plans.

Have a great day
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 04:41 AM

After a ton of help from these boards, our group of 4 went to Tanzania in Nov / Dec of last year. We booked with SUNNY safaris (private) and couldn't have asked for a better safari. It was our 1st so we have nothing to compare it to but we coulnd't think of how it could have been any better.

Our driver / guide was Mushi and he was great. He has 20+ years of experience so he had lots of great information to pass on.

Sunny safaris is actually the company that also does most of the vehicle conversions for the other safari company vehicles. You will see a sticker on most vehicles (from various tour companies) that they were modified and certified by Sunny Safaris. You shouldn't worry about their vehicles in the least. Our vehicle did not look brand spankin' new but it was perfectly reliable and the pop top was huge and provided shade & protection from rain (for the most part). We especially liked it because we could pop it up at any during the drive. We noticed other vehicles that needed to be parked & the driver had to get out to remove the top. In the Nov./Dec. rainy season especially (short, sporadic but sometimes heavy rains) we were very glad to be able to put the top up & down so easily.

Good luck!
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 07:38 AM

My son--in his 40's--is on his way home from a safari with Roy's. Rave reviews and had Thomas--the same guide I had 5 years ago. More than met his expectations.
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM
VDB

Of course I am biased to our choice and recomend Good Earth Tours. They exceeded all our expectations! A private custom tour is not much more...worth it.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 03:02 PM

I have to agree with VDB: a custom safari is an excellent way to go, because it gives you the flexibility to respond easier to whatever comes up. We had a great time with Access2Tanzania in Nov/Dec 06, just my husband and self and our dedicated driver Raymond who was an amazing and gracious source of info on animals, weather, tribal differences, economics, and social mores. We will return to Access2Tanzania next time we're going.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:13 AM

I can't tell you anything about Roy's for comparison, but we had a wonderful experience with Gerald through Sunny Safaris.

We just got back last night from 14 days on a Northern Tanzanian safari plus 3 days in Zanzibar which was arranged (in accordance with my suggested itinerary) by Ally with Sunny Safaris. I will be posting more soon, but we had absolutely no scheduling problems, our guide Gerald was excellent, and his green LandCruiser was certainly roomy and nice enough and we had no mechanical problems (but 2 flat tires).

Gerald (who has been guiding for 10 years) was very knowledgeable and personable and was incredible at finding and identifying game. I don't know how those guys do it -- driving over very bumpy roads in the middle of nowhere (I was lost pretty much the whole time) while scanning the ground and the bushes and the trees for game and answering all of your questions. He almost seemed to have a sixth sense as to where animals might be hiding, which was important since in many places the foliage is very lush due to all of the rain over the last couple of months (although we had almost no rain). Gerald was very organized, a very careful driver, always on time, and willing to do whatever we wanted (although he would offer his ideas).

If you are interested, I hope to do a trip report summary soon with more to follow as time and energy permit.

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM

I assume that the itinerary, dates, and lodgings are all identical for the quotes from Roy and Sunny? Same for transportation options? (e.g. internal flights)

What about the extras - bottled water while on safari, pick up from the airport, etc? Roy didn't include pick up at the airport in their original quote to me, and adding it in cost an extra $50.