Search

safari luggage questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
safari luggage questions

I'm confused by a few things, and I hope someone can help.

1) DUFFLE SIZE:
I'm going on a tour to Kenya/Tanzania, and have a luggage weight limit of 44 pounds. The tour outfitter sends a duffle that they recommend (but do not require) us to use.

The duffle they send is 26" -- 22 inches in the main compartment and a 2" pocket at each end. It looks awfully small to me. Is this a 'normal' size?

2) GETTING THROUGH THE AIRPORT
This will be the first time for me to be travelling without wheels on my luggage. When I get my duffle in Nairobi, will there be carts to use to go through customs and immigration? I'm actually rather concerned about this, since I have a bad back. Will I need to pay for the carts? Do I need Kenya money for that?
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 06:44 PM
santharamhari

Hi! Yes, luggage carts in Nairobi and no, you dont need $1 bills like in US airports....it's free....

There is usually a daily laundry service in most lodges/camps, so 44lbs is a lot!!!

Hari

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 03:14 AM
sandi

If it's a soft duffle you'd be surprised just how much you can pack in the bag and still be underweight. But if you're taking any internal flights within or between Kenya/Tanzania, you're limited to 33/lbs weight.

That said, and as mentioned above, you can have laundry done at the lodges/camps (best done at those there you'll be staying minimum 2/days as laundry is line dried (a few properties only have driers).

Once at the airport in NY, you can pay for a cart, or the Sky Cap will take inside for you at $1/bag. Then on deplaning at Kenya/JRO, there are carts available at no charge. After that, you'll never have to lift your bag again.

Toss into this duffle a soft folded bag (have a lock or cable ties to secure) for souvenirs and check as a 2nd piece of luggage on your homebound trip.

It's doable, but I would suggest you check out the many small hole-in-the-wall luggage stores found around Manhattan for a larger bag. The one I use is a 30" soft duffle (admittedly, I keep borrowing this from a friend) weighs very little, made of durable fabric. She found this bag on www.ebags.com for about $25 or $30.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:19 AM

When using a duffle, I would suggest putting like items in packing cubes to make things easier to find during your trip. The duffle is one big "hole" unless you have some way of keeping items together. I used ziploc bags, but would have had an easier time with packing cubes.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:12 PM

http://www.redoxx.com/catalog/carry-...-air-boss.html

is the duffle I've been looking at.

I've been thinking to also take detachable wheels. The set I have weighs 4 lbs.

Sylvia
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:25 PM

We are using A&K and they just sent us a duffle as well. It looks small to me but I'm going to try to use it.

When do you leave? Have a great trip!

momofmany
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM

What are packing cubes and where do you buy them?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:18 PM
cw

Eagle Creek makes packing cubes. I had a few and wished I had bought more. They worked very well.

http://www.eaglecreek.com/accessories/packing_cubes/

I bought mine at the Container Store but they are readily available at sport outfitter stores.

cw
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:31 PM
sandi

The 2/lb ziplock bags work exceptionally well. Each outfit goes into one bag and that's it. Extra similar items as sweaters, t-shirts, underwear into another, meds in another, sleepwear in another. Besides, they're so inexpensive and sure don't add to weight.

With a duffle that has a wide "u" shaped opening you can see everything.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I like to use the 2lb ziploc bags too! One of the girls who traveled with me had the cubes though and those were nice as well.

Jenn
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

I'm still confused about duffle size. Is 26" a 'normal' size duffle to take on safari? If everyone else manages with this size, then I will too. But if the norm is 30", then that explains why the duffle that was sent to me looks so small...
Can you please help me get an idea of the 'norm'?
thanks,
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:37 AM
sandi

There is no "normal" but what works for what you have to pack.

While I use a 30" soft duffle, I own a 26" duffle w/ wheels (not for safari) and can get the same stuff into both. However, with the 30", I have extra room for souvenirs.

Some people can probably get by with an even smaller size (24 or 22&quot, so it's what suits your situation.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 12:52 PM

I agree with Sandi, there is no "normal size". I was on safari with 3 other ladies and we all had different sized bags.

I was also confused before I went on safari. I can tell you that I bought a 36" duffle from ebags.com because it looked wonderful online. When it arrived realized it was way too big. I was embarrassed to bring it, not to mention it was really hard to pick up. I ended up returning it and getting a 28" one which was a perfect size for me.

Jenn
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM

Hello,

If you're taking any light aircraft flights, they will be the limiting factor -- find out how large a bag they will accept and that will be your maximum. They have very limited luggage space.

Personally, I fit everything I needed for a three-week trip into a single 20-inch dufflebag. With daily laundry, you really don't need to bring a lot of stuff. Think two of everything (trouses, shirts, etc) plus a fleece, hat, and gloves for cool mornings and you're pretty much set.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Julian, you are definitely an inspiration! I have a little bit more clothes than you do, but I also seem to have a lot of miscellaneous 'stuff'. I'll try to whittle it down, after your example!
Old Sep 23rd, 2006, 03:06 PM

Hi Ann,

I've found that one of the keys to whittling things down was minimising the amount of toiletries I brought (most camps have soap, shower gel and lotion, though you may want to check with your agent) and using travel-size bottles for any toiletries I ended up bringing. Once a bottle was empty I binned it.

I bought some disposable stuff which freed up space as I went (e.g. instead of bringing cleaning solution for my glasses I brought disposable wipes, etc). I also left stuff behind as I went -- I donated my airplane books to the libraries at my camps once I was done (a lot of people do this, which explains the odd schizoid mix of wildlife books and thrillers on the bookshelves of many camps).

I left out things like slippers (the sleep socks from the plane are fine, and can be binned at the end of your trip) and bathrobes (provided in many camps).

You definitely don't need space-sucking things like hairdryers, travel kettles, and travel irons (many camps will not have enough power to run these things anyhow).

Good luck!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM

We just got back from two weeks in Tanzania /Kenya and I brought too much. We did come in under our 33 lb limit, but if you want to buy anything, that stuff adds up. Some things to think about. Disposable underwear and socks. Most camps will not do Ladies undies and these were great. Wear once, toss. Brought hair dryer. Used it twice, first night upon arrival and then day room before we left. Actually I didn't use mine because it was provided. So toss the dryer. No place to plug in anyways and the freedom of not doing hair for two weeks was exhilarating. Two pairs of convertible pants, 4 t-shirts, 1 long sleeved shirt, Teva sandals, tennis shoes, two pair Capris and two tops. You're moving from camp to camp, you can wear the same things all of the time. Use the laundry service, it's wonderful. Fleece, sweatshirt and nightgown. I actually took two and left one along the way. My husband took old tee-shirts that were ready to be tossed and left them along the way. We brought another smaller bag that we used for souveniers coming home. And I bought alot, mostly small packable stuff until I got to Kazuri Beads. Went crazy. Luckily my husband is an engineer and can pack a suitcase like you wouldn't believe. We ended up buying a Rick Steves Convertible Carry on, 21 inches, only 3 lbs. Overpaid but liked it very much. Yes most places have soap, shampoo, but I like my own so my husband used their stuff. Brought too much medicine, like sinus pills, Immodium, Cough pills, etc. I'm not usually a sick person, so not sure why I brought the whole medicine cabinet. Brought way too much small toilet paper. Except for one place along the way, all had toilet paper. Most guides take you to rest stops that have a decent bathroom. We did use our gloves for Ngorongoro. Very cold in the morning. Used the hats a few times. Mostly to look cool But looking at the pictures, not so much. All airports had carts and the inter flights the guide or the pilot would load the plane. Or maybe that was my husband. Have to look at the pictures again. Next time I will bring less clothes (brought extra shorts, pants and tops that I didn't use.
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 07:50 PM

this might sound like a stupid question, but I honestly don't know as I've never seen disposable underwear.
How or where do you actually dispose of them? Just toss them in the trash can? Do they look like underwear when you toss them out or will the cleaning staff just think it's a paper towel or something?
Old Oct 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM
santharamhari

Dennis, you are too funny.....but, i hadnt heard of it either!!!

Hari

Old Oct 7th, 2006, 03:45 AM
sandi

Dennis, I love your questions! At least you ask them.

Paper undies - haven't seen them in years and haven't checked any of the catelogues, but last I remember, they were made out of something like what handiwipes fabric is (the wipes you use to clean the sink, bathroom, etc.) Unless there have big changes, can't be much different - but, yes... a paper towel thingamajiggy!

Not usual, either, for people to pack their "old" undies or t-shirts to leave behind so they have room for souvenirs. Me, always undies in good condition, as I just never know when an accident may come upon me! Sounds like advise from mom, yes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -