Search

Safari accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safari accommodations

I 've made some provisional bookings with a few tour operators in TZ/ Arusha for January 2006 and have some questions about accommodations.

I'm booked with Roys -$1900 6n/7d staying at these lodges:
Ngorongoro Serena Lodge
Serengeti Serena Lodge

If I want to reduce the price, Roys will put me in the Sopa Lodges for $1590
Ngo Sopa Lodge
Serengeti Sopa Lodge

What's the difference between the Serena Lodges and the Sopa Lodges? Location? A/C? Comfort? Food?

I've also got the same booking with Tropical Trails staying at the Sopa Lodges for $1475

Thanks for any advice about lodging
Winnie

Old Oct 18th, 2005, 08:31 PM

I believe the Sopa lodge at the crater has its own descent road so that might be a plus. Can't comment on the Serengeti locations.

I don't think any of these lodges have A/C (do they?). I've never heard any mention of this.

What do you mean you've made some provisional bookings with a few tour operators? Are they both holding space for you? Or do you mean you've just received some quotes? I would verify that those lodges do have space available if you haven't done so already.
Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:17 PM

Hi Winniep, took the family to Kenya and Tanzania for two weeks last June and stayed in lodges, primarily Serena, no Sopa. Ngorongoro Serena and Serengeti Serena were two we stayed in and loved them both. Some folks opt for tents, and my son and I are going back and doing tents this time (June or July), but there was no way I would have gotten my wife to go last June unless we stayed in lodges. I've never stayed in a Sopa lodge but can wholeheartedly recommend Serena.

You can also read a good discussion about Sopa/Serena/tents on this board by typing in africatravel in the search box and going to the thread that starts on 9-8-05.

Bottom line, you'll love it whether you stay in Sopa or Serena, and I know my son and I will love the tenting experience as well. Have a great trip! Jack
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. The provisional bookings- the tour operators are holding spaces for me but only for a few days and then they cancel the bookings if I don't pay the 30% deposit.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 04:25 AM

There is little difference between Sopa and Serena in terms of food and comfort.

In terms of location. In January the Serengeti Sopa is in a better location than the Serena. It is closer to the central plains and the kopjes if the migration happens to be spread out to the west.

At Ngorongoro, the Serena has better views (it is on the crater wall whereas the Sopa is set more to the back) but from the Sopa it is easier and quicker to get in/out the crater. The Sopa is also closer to less crowded Maasai cultural bomas and interesting walking opportunities. At Serena the nearest Maasai interactions are VERY touristy.