Roccco--Mosquitos in Zambia

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:26 AM
owl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roccco--Mosquitos in Zambia

Dear Rocco,

We were wondering how the mosquitos were in Zambia since we saw that Southern Africa is on alert for epidemic levels of malaria because of the flooding this year. Did you encounter many? Since 90% of the malaria there is the life-threatening kind, I wanted to get the scoop.

We're, of course, treating our clothing with permetrin, wearing time-release Sawyer DEET, and taking Malarone.
Thank you!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:34 AM

Owl,

Keep in mind that I was there during its coldest time, but I saw no more than a couple mosquitos during my entire 5 day stay at Kafunta.

I was told that as it warms up in late July that there are far more mosquitos.

The most annoying thing, however, was the Tetse (sp.?) Fly. They would often buzz around us relentlessly, especially during midday when we happened to be driving around at that time. There were really none in the morning or after dark.

We did take Sawyer's Deet with us but mostly used it in an attempt to keep away the Tetse flies. You must apply the Deet even under your clothes because the Tetse's will bite you right through your shirt, pants or shorts, as we found out after the first couple days.

Best of luck with your upcoming trip!
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 08:50 AM

that would be DHEET...my furry friend
Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:17 AM
owl
Original Poster

Dear Roccco,

Actually, the tsetse is very dangerous. Not to alarm you, but you should probably be aware of the following in the very unlikely event of getting sick:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol8no1/01-0130.htm
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 02:00 AM

Oooh thanks for the link owl - that's worth knowing.
We were a little alarmed when we got bitten by tsetse at Mombo - and you can really feel those little bastards bite too! Ouch!
But our guide informed us that in this area, they no longer carried sleeping sickness - once everyone who had been infected died many decades ago, there was no one left from whom the flies could pick up the infection, and so now they don't carry it.
I don't know if they carry anything else, but I got bitten a number of times and didn't get ill so I think not, in this area.
Rocco, and mrs scared... please do take care of yourselves and seek medical advice if you get ill at all.
Hope you enjoy Cape Town and meeting Selwyn!