Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

robben island conditions late august/september - any south africans out there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone!

don;t worry- i'll be leaving very shortly and the questions shall end, too.

i would be visiting capetown for a very brief period soley for the purpose of visiting robben island.

my question:

i have attempted to email the official form to the visitor's center to have it returned undeliverable. i wonder if the tours are seasonal- or if the call on the weather is made on a daily basis or an hourly basis.

for any resident or frequent visitor, is it a safe bet that the season i'm going in will find waters too rough? i do realize it's not exactly springtime the. i would rather visit when i could see robben island for certain, even if that means waiting until a future visit, especially as i would be flying to cpt for just a very brief 2 night stay.

thanks for the robben island info and for everything else everybody else!

kerikeri
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM

Hi

I am usually in the Cape in August and September, and as far as I know, the Robben Island tours go on a daily basis--not sure if they go when the weather is really, really bad, but you probably wouldn't want to go in bad weather either, as neither the boat ride nor the tour of the prison would be very pleasant in a driving rain.

On the other hand, the Table Mountain cable car does not run in inclement weather including windy conditions. If you plan to go there, it's a good idea to call ahead to see if the cable car is running. It may seen like a beautiful day, but the weather conditions on the top of the mountain may prevent the car from operating.

Hopefully you will have beautiful weather and will be able to see and do all that you want during your stay. Please let us know how it all works out for you.

Leann
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:13 PM

the trips go to the island daily and there are a couple of trips a day. I would suggest that you take the earliest trip over. When the winds pick, which is generally later in the day so do the seas. IMO, then it is best to go in the morning.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks to bpoth of you for perfect strategic advice. exactly what i'd hoped for. i will sneak cpt in based on that and fingers crossed the winds are not blowing.

kerikeri
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We went to Robben Island in late August last year - a rainy day and the crossing was quite exciting. Didn't bother us, but not for the tender-stomached crowd.

The tour was wonderful and uplifting. Unfortunately the views back to Cape Town were mediocre because of the weather. It was still worth the effort, and how.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

thanks. great to hear. packing to do! thanks all!
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 09:29 PM

I'm not a South African but even in June it can get breezy on that boat. So a fleece or wind breaker can be handy. Have a wonderful trip.