Restaurant/activity reccs in Hermanus?

Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Restaurant/activity reccs in Hermanus?

Spending 2 nights there in Oct. Any suggestions for great restaurants, and/or activities to do in town besides whale/shark watching or just walking around?

thanks, Julie
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:47 AM

Hey Julie

Two lovely restaurants I can recommend, 1st Annie se Kombuis (for some South African cuisine) and Dutchies on Grotto which over looks the beach.

I donít know what activities you like but if you are only there for two nights you will not be bored. Hopefully you can rent a car otherwise getting around by taxi will be inconvenient and expensive. So if you rent a car you can travel along Rotary drive, a lovely scenic drive which takes you up the mountain behind Hermanus, great view. You can then drop down into the "Hemel en Aarde" valley that means heaven and earth valley, which has a few lovely wine farms you can visit. Especially Hamilton Russel Estate which is really beautiful.(and good wine!!!) Obviously with regards to whales your timing will be great, that is peak whale season. They are even already here around Cape Town at the moment, so you will spend some time walking along the coastal board walk watching the gentle giants in the nearby waters.

Then on your way back to Cape Town you should travel along the very scenic coastal route, you can then drop into the botanical gardens just outside Bettys Bay to view some of our indigenous vegetation and even see the penguins in Bettys Bay. You will then travel along a beautiful coastal road called Clarens Drive that takes you through Gordons Bay and back to Cape Town.

If you like the outdoors there are plenty of lovely walks/hikes in the mountains and if you are adventurous you can do things like sand boarding. Plenty to do! Enjoy.

Regards

Clive (Student in Cape Town)
[email protected]
Aug 24th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much, Clive! you've been very helpful. Yes,we will have a rental car so i think we're set. Cheers!
Aug 25th, 2005, 08:35 AM

We stayed at Auberge Burgundy in late September 2003, and ate at their restaurant, which was very good. We spent 2 days/1 night in Hermanus, and mostly did whale watching -- boat trip and walking/hiking on the trails around Hermanus. The whales were just amazing!
KT
Aug 25th, 2005, 02:55 PM

jck4,

Clive's tips are great and there would be much that you could take from his ideas that would make your stay an in Hermanus an enjoyable one.

To add to his tips...

Have to second "Annie se Kombuis" that Clive speaks of. Good, local, traditional food in quite a quaint setting. Another place that I like going to is the Harbour Rock Cafe in the new harbour. If you like fish this is the place to visit for a meal.

Mediterraneo is a relatively new restaurant restaurant on the block and serves wonderful food. Try and sit at a window seat as you could well se whales passing by in Walker Bay.

Try and do the seaside walk from Grotto Beach to the new harbour. It is a long and fabulous walk that runs all along the Hermanus coastline. There are lots of spots along the way where you can simply rest and enjoy the magnificent scenery and sample Hermanus's pristine air. In early October you will probably see whales along the way. I hope that you are going to be in Hermanus in early October because in my expereince by the second week of October most of the Southern Rights will have returned to the Antarctic. Obviously there is no hard and fast rule about this but thats what I have found has happened over the past 7 years.

Another activity could be a drive out to Stanford which is just outside of Hermanus.

Overall I am sure that you will love Hermanus. Heres hoping that your vsist to our country is a great one.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Sep 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM

The chef from Auberge Burgundy has actaully opened up his own restaurant in Hermanus - Joubert. Very nice food.
Sep 14th, 2005, 11:50 PM

The best steakhouse restaurant by far in Hermanus is B's Steakhouse. They have won a number of awards. They have a website - try googling it.

Search this Thread