Recommended reading for Egypt

Oct 27th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Recommended reading for Egypt

I am going to Egypt and Jordan in February and would appreciate if you could recommend some books that are informative and fun reading.
Oct 28th, 2008, 01:05 PM

I think that there's been a long post on this in the past.

My brain isn't working tonight and I can't think of the names of others. Pearson(?) has a book about the Mamur Zapt which is set in the early 20th century in Egypt. He writes mystery stories and gives you a look at Egypt 100 years ago when the English were pulling the strings. The Mamur Zapt is an English guy who's viewed as an outsider b/c he has Egyptian friends, but he moves in both worlds.
Oct 28th, 2008, 06:06 PM

here's the link....

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=35127979

I still recommend the Amelia Peabody books if you like murder mysteries. I found them fun and entertaining and not in the least bit derogatory or critical or condescending of the Egyptians.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it in that previous thread....but there is a series of books (maybe 3 or 5) that sort of/kind of tell about the history of Ramses II. I guess it would go under the category of "historical fiction" but I liked them because it was like a "Pharonic Soap Opera!"

Debbie or Sunshine...do you know the series I'm talking about???
Nov 9th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice. I have thus far bought two books -- one, Nefertiti, for fun reading, and the other, a wonderful pictorial called Imagining Egypt. I also have to get a Fodors/Frommers/Lonely Plant type guide book. Of that ilk, which one do you think is best?
Nov 9th, 2008, 08:43 AM

If you like to read on a website read : www.touregypt.net
Nov 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM

I second the last comment on the linked post about listening to Um Kalthum. She was a world famous Egyptian singer who was fabulous. I don't think there's anyone like here today.