Durban

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2006, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Durban

I'm still fine tuning my trip in July. Hope to spend 4 days in Cape Town and then on to Durban, stay a week at a game park and on to Kruger. I was going to fly to Durban and drive to Richards Bay. Is going to Durban worth it in July? Can i swim in the ocean or is it too cold? I'm wondering if I should just fly to Richards Bay and skip Durban. So much to see and so little time and money. Thanks, Barbara
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 03:09 AM

The sea in July will be about 17 - 18C which is fine for a quick dip. Durban tourism is trying hard to get themselves back on the tourist route but really as far as I am concerned don't have much to offer. Are you visiting friends or family and which game park do you plan staying at? The reason for the questions is that you would be better off giving Durbs and the North coast a miss ( unless you are
fond of sugar cane)and travel directly to the K.N.P. or Sabi Sand after C.T.
Old Jan 30th, 2006, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

WE are coming from Cape Town and go onto Zulu Nyala near Richards Bay. After a week, we'll drive to Kruger for 4 days. I hope to stay in the park. I thought Durban would be an ealier flight from Cape Town and drive to Richards Bay. Or would you suggest flying to Joberg and than Richards Bay? I'm not sold on Durban but would like other suggestions. Thanks, Barbara
Old Jan 31st, 2006, 05:35 AM

Hi Barbara
It will be less expensive for you to fly directly into Durnan and then travel up the coast. I still would give the K.N.P or Sabi Sand more days and reduce your Zululand stay. A good place to stay about 50 Kms north of Durban is Zimbali lodge which is run by Sun International. It really is a magnificent hotel and if you play golf take your sticks ( or hire from the pro shop)as the course is one of the best in S.A. Enjoy
Old Feb 1st, 2006, 04:20 AM

Try Tourism KZN's website for more information on Durban - www.kzn.org.za for more information. I live in Durban and I love it!

Some other options for you would be a day trip from Durban on the "Midlands Meander" which is approx 45 minutes from Durban. It is a "craft route" and you could pick up a lot of quality crafts at very reasonable prices (of course there are also some rip-offs like there are anywhere!).

From Durban, you could also go to the Drakensberg mountains which are spectacular. I have viewed them from an airforce helicopter which was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!

I agree with Zenz's comments about Zimbali Lodge!