Search

Real Botswanan Rhinos

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2008, 11:24 PM
sniktawk

Real Botswanan Rhinos

Here are some photos taken at Kharma Rhino Sanctuary and Mokolodi, in both places the majority of Rhinos are actual Botswanan Rhinos not imports from SA.

http://sniktawkwild.zenfolio.com/p874537633

Even if you cannot get to Khama 600km from Maun send them some money to continue their fine work!!!

http://www.khamarhinosanctuary.com/

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved the photos and didn't realize that Botswana's rhinos may not have been indigenous to the area. A bit naive really, considering all the rhino movements around Africa. It would be interesting if someone could make a map showing where rhinos originated from, which areas still have their indigenous populations etc. A big map with arrows going all over the place, except of course for the Northern White in Garamba which never went anywhere to be saved.
Black and White species of course.
Thanks for the link to Khama Sanctuary … always love to expand my knowledge base on what is being done with conservation.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM

Nice to be looking at originals. The steenbock photos that were interspersed were wonderful too. Such cute little antelope.
Old Sep 28th, 2008, 08:49 PM
sniktawk

As far as I am aware, the only Southern African countries with a reasonable population of Rhino descended from the original stock, are SA, Namibia and Zimbabwe. The Rhino seen in the Delta were a gift from SA (only the research and guarding are funded by Lodges), the same applies to the Rhino in North Luangwa but these were not well guarded.
This is why I get upset at people cricising SA.

Old Sep 28th, 2008, 09:36 PM

I think South Africa has done an amazing job with its' breeding and restitution of the white rhino in particular. Wildlife, conservation and the environment are such emotive subjects with such wildly disparate views on appropriate action in any particular situation that it is easy to carried away with ones own view and criticize another's. I like to think that most intelligent people of good will are doing the best they can in difficult circumstances and while I, like many, won't agree with every decision, I live many thousands of miles away from Africa and don't deal with these issues on a day to day basis.
If people who are in the know keep posting links to good news stories and work in every African country we would all be better informed which has to be a good thing.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Without SA's intervention, it is doubtful there would be many rhinos left in the wild at all so I think they've done an incredible thing! If I understand correctly, much of the work was done/ pioneered at Imfolozi?
On what basis do people criticise SA for this success story??