Quick trip back home to Kenya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brief background - Grew up in Kenya and moved to the UK to study at university and then stayed on in London to work. Went back to Kenya over Easter to see family and spent a few days on Safari. Highlights below:

1. Nairobi National Park - Spent a morning there, saw 2 cheetahs!! rhino and usual plains game. Park is very green with all rains and lots of animals. Well worth a morning if you have time in Nairobi

2. Nakuru National Park - Spent a morning there, like Nairobi it is green and lake is full. Highlight was the thousands of flamingoes on the lake. Got out of the car at the lakeshore and just sat with the flamingoes. Other animals seen were lions, rhinos (black & white), hyena, giraffe etc...

3. Mara (Little Governors) - Spent a couple of nights in the Mara. Was my 1st time at Little Governors and its an amazing lodge in an amazing location. Aim was to find some of the Big Cat Diary Stars and we succeeded in that regards. General game wise there were lots of elephant, buffalo, giraffe and warthogs in and around the marsh. Only saw 1 zebra and wildebeest in our time there!

Lions - Marsh pride is very fragmented and struggling to find food at the moment. We saw one of the old males, one of the females with 2 cubs and 3 adolescent males looking very skinny. Also saw the Ridge pride who had killed a buffalo on Rhino Ridge and were eating all day (2 males, 4 females and a few cubs)

Cheetahs - Spent a whole day with Honeys boys again on Rhino ridge. Although thy didn't hunt it was incredible to just sit with them. Also saw a single female with cub on paradise plains. Again spent a couple of hours with her.

Leopard - Went for a morning game drive to Talek and saw a female leopard opposite Rekero camp.

Not many vehicles in this part of the Mara and with the incredible weather we had it was just a great experience.

Know this is not a traditional trip report and I don't have photos because I only take visual imprints in my mind but am happy to answer any questions about the recent conditions in Kenya.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the report!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Being a cheetah fan, of course I was drawn to your cheetah activity. How wonderful for you and for Nairobi National Park that you saw them there.

Kind of funny you saw only a single wildebeest and zebra. On how many Kenyan safaris would the cheetah sightings outnumber the cheetah and wildebeest combined?

Thanks for the homecoming report.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:01 AM

Great report, short, but all inclusive.

Wonder whether Honey's Boys have yet found "duma" girls... time to spread the seed!

Myself, recall one June visit coming upon a lone wildie. While too early for the migration and though there are resident herds in the Mara year-round, none of it's buddies could be found anywhere... poor guy!
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 09:12 AM

Sounds like a lovely trip!
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM

Very enjoyable!