Search

Question for LyndaS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for LyndaS

Hi Lynda: I'm going on a Micato safari in a couple months to East Africa. I've read your trip report and absolutely can't wait! Any other insights you'd want to share? Also, what was it like driving in and out of Nairobi, and being in Nairobi in general. Did they take good care of you with good safety precautions in what I know has a reputation for being a dangerous city? I'd love to hear anything you're willing to share.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 02:38 AM

Hi Africa2007, Lynda is probably still sleeping, so I thought I would respond! I went on the same safari (Stanley Wing) as Lynda, in February of this year. We stayed at the Norfolk in Nairobi. You have absolutely nothing to worry about, as Micato takes care of you every step of the way. You don't spend a lot of time walking around in Nairobi proper - we just did a bus tour of downtown and stopped at a beautiful shop (open by appointment only) to get a brief education on what to look for in terms of arts and crafts (you go back to this shop at the end of the trip). The rest of the day is spent outside of the city proper (giraffe center, Karen Blixen house, tea plantation). On our last day we were also only in the city for a few hours. We never felt uncomfortable in Nairobi. You are basically either on the bus or in a restaurant or shop at all times.

Part of our group did request to visit one of the huge slums at the end of the trip (where Micato has its AmericaShares projects), which was an eye-opening experience. Not everyone in our group chose to do this, and some people might find it makes them a little uneasy, but we found that people were very happy and excited to see us (perhaps because Micato is recognized as a company that is helping out the people there). We were followed down the streets by children smiling and waving and shouting "How are you?" over and over again!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:03 AM

we went with micato last June. At the end of the trip in Nairobi my mom asked Kennedy, our guide, about taking a taxi to do some shopping. He very quickly arranged to have the Micato van and a guide take her to a couple of stores. They recommend you don't walk around in Nairobi, but Micato will take you anywhere you want to go in your down time.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Hi Africa2007, when are you going on your trip? We are also going on the Micato Stanley Wing which departs May 27th. 5 weeks exactly from today, not that I'm counting. I too have read and re-read Lynda's trip report and am now anxiously awaiting more of hausfrau's!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM

I'm awake now guys!! Tax time, what can I say!

Africa 2007 - I think that hausfrau and aowens have covered all the basis of your question, I will just add that what they say is 100%. Not once did we feel 'unsafe' in Nairobi, even when we were there the day before the safari started.

Kennedy (the private guide we hired for that day pre-safari) did tell me though a few times to roll up the window a bit (halfway), and to keep my purse and camera on the floor, not on my lap. He said during traffic jams, people have been known to reach in the window and 'snatch & grab' from tourists. Actually the camera was always around my neck, securely. But I never once felt fear.

My apologies jfram on the other post I just posted giving you the link to my report! I see from this post you have already read it!

You guys are going to have the time of your life, it really is an incredible safari!

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM

Lynda, did you get the cd music you wanted for your video?
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM

Hi Dennis-

Yes, I did! A very kind, considerate and generous Fodorite 'lent' me a copy of the title song via email (which of course I sent back after listening to it..... ).

I almost ordered it from the source in Hong Kong that you found as it was a MUCH more reasonable price than what I was seeing! (think it might be in Cantonese?) But, at the last moment I noticed it said to allow 4 weeks for delivery, and we were at that time under the 4 week mark for going back to Kenya, and we want to bring copies of the DVD for Daniel & Kennedy in Kenya when we go. I could have paid a cazillion dollars for expidited shipping, but you know how it is just before you go on a trip to Africa, your wallet falls open at night and little gremlins > sneak in and take the money while you are sleeping.....

Did you order the CD? It really is a great CD with wonderful, stirring music.